Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

price on mini tubbing

CM99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 sedan
hey guys i plan on getting a set of 20s for the vt once its running which wont be to long away, i was planning on getting the 8.5s on the front and 10s out back as id like the extra meat.. apparently they arent going to fit and to tub the car will cost 4500.. no way that is true right?? has anyone had there car tubbed at all or should i just put the fattest rubber on the 8.5

Thanmks for the help Craig

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
10inch wide rims, you'd run... 295mm wide tyres?

have you priced 295, 20inch tyres? lol

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Sounds like an alright price really.

When you think about what they're actually doing.

Are you doing it for any reason other then wanting some wide tyres on the back?

CM99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 sedan
10inch wide rims, you'd run... 295mm wide tyres?

have you priced 295, 20inch tyres? lol

haha yeah pretty pricey but its not like i plan on smokin em every corner

Sounds like an alright price really.

When you think about what they're actually doing.

Are you doing it for any reason other then wanting some wide tyres on the back?

no they just told me that i would only be able to run a 235 on the rear?? i just dont think its really wide enough id he happy with 255 i had traction issues with 215s with the 6 and yes they were good tyres and not bald

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What mods have you done?

235s and good rubber should be enough unless you're going for circuit or proper drag times. How are you driving for them to not have enough traction?

I really don't think spending 5k to get an extra 5cm of tyre on the ground for road use is going to be a wise investment.

Having said that though, from what I've read around the place, 4500 seems to be a an alright price, probably at the lower end of the spectrum. What else have the shops told you about minitubbing? Any suspension changes? Shorter axles etc?

CM99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 sedan
What mods have you done?

235s and good rubber should be enough unless you're going for circuit or proper drag times. How are you driving for them to not have enough traction?

I really don't think spending 5k to get an extra 5cm of tyre on the ground for road use is going to be a wise investment.

Having said that though, from what I've read around the place, 4500 seems to be a an alright price, probably at the lower end of the spectrum. What else have the shops told you about minitubbing? Any suspension changes? Shorter axles etc?

ah well ill just try and get fatter rubber on 8.5s.. like just in the wet generally or on dirt/sand as me old man lives on a farm its pretty bad boggin yaself in wen ur just tryin to leave... nah they didnt mention anything else from what i can remember since the vt is irs can u even buy shorter drive shafts??

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
4.5k for mini tubs? major rip off imo.
shop around, im getting minitubs for 2200 but thats in vic

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
4500 might include engineering of vehicle if required. I dont think tubbing a car would be hard unless chassis rails are in the way

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
That price will be all about labour. $4500 would be around 75 hours, give or take a bit depending on what rate they charge. Then it comes a judgement on what you get for those 75 hours. Sounds about right to me for a complete roll in - roll out job. Note that this may be inflated a bit if the guy has never done that job before and he may be allowing some extra to cover himself.

Reaper