Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price on Torque Converter VR V6

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows a rough price on the torque converter for a VR V6 auto? Cost of part and cost of part and installation if possible? thanks.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I got my torque converter for $1900 from memory, genuine Holden part. Not sure how much labour.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
holden007 said:
I got my torque converter for $1900 from memory, genuine Holden part. Not sure how much labour.
I think they're cheaper than that - there's a place in the US on GOOGLE that sells B & M convertors from $US300 to $US600 depending on the stall figure. Then they discount that figure further by 60%!. Standard factory ones would have to be cheaper as they churn them out like sausages.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Guess have to shop around, mine was done under warranty, but the mechanic said it cost them $1900, Holden is expensive.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
$1000 inlcuding labour from my mech. genuine factory part.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Wow $1900 ! it would want to be 24ct gold plated, in my petrol head days messin about with the indestructable tweaked 2 speed powerglide boxes with modified 1,500 / 1,800 rpm stall converters cost less than $300 for a tricked up one.

For ref sake the beast used to do just on 115 in 1st, that's MPH too, from memory it was a 1,750 converter, that gives you some free play to allow the odd throttle blip to keep em alive for very ugly lumpy cams that idle ? / run slowly at around 1,250 and that allows your torque to be up before the converter is fully engaged, a bit like dumping the clutch, anyone that has run 45/95 cams with huge overlap knows what I mean, add tripple 2" SU's and the fun starts.

Even with the age difference a stock converter is nothing more than just a fluid drive coupling, washing machines have a basic torque converter, Simpson "fluid drive".

Installing one is about as simple as it gets, the converter is bolted to the drive plate with probably 4 -5 bolts, the tranny side has a simple square cut out of the input that mates with a lug inside the front of the tranny, some have splines, either way it's not hard, it's usually a matter of turning one or the other until it engages in the tranny, do up the bolts on the drive plate and your in buisness.

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
fark holden007!...a WHOLE NEW GEARBOX would have cost less that that!
at least it was done under warranty though, you would have been ripped off if you had of paid that much yourself.
second hand reco'ed converters go anywhere from $200-400....brand new anywhere from around $500-$heaps. (such as a high stall...they're a bit pricey)...labours hard to give a price for as everwhere would charge differently, but you'd need at least a couple of hours worth.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
well got quoted $380 for the torque convertor and $972 all up including gst which includes a full transmission service etc.. hmmm.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
What do ya get in a full tranny service ?

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
duno states on price estimation that its includes "auto transmission service" "hydraulic fluid" and estiamted 5 hours it will take to remove and replace transmission.