Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

primeing vp v6 oil pump without pull down mod

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
i own a vp drag car and after many issues with loss of oil pressure i finally found a way to prime after each meet (for some reason my v6 likes to lose pressure about halfway through each meet i believe it to be big rev syndrome )
this mod will not in any way help a dirty engine or blocked pickup but for those of us that either race there vn or vp and then leave it to sit a wile yes you can lose all oil pressure well i have the anser you need an
air fitting threaded one end (i used one the same size as oil pressure sensor)
pice of high pressure hose
drill bit a tiny bit smaller than the fitting

now you don't have to but i recommend taking off the plate the the oil filter screws on to and clean to out first then look at the inside at the lower cathedral entrance on the plate now you want to drill a hole in the front of the plate taking notice where your belt runs now after the drill out clean plate again (get rid of all metal flakes)

now carefully thread the fitting in the hole (you can use thread sealant if you want i didn't and mines sealed) i stress be careful its soft and will crack if you go to ruff

now you put the high pressure hose on the fitting with a hose clamp

now you can either use a dry sump pump (looks like a large bike pump) or or a little bit of oil and a large funnel and leave it over night

i used a dry sump pump (looks like a bike pump only bigger)

force as much oil in as you can if it still dosent work get some one to crank the motor wile forcing oil in making sure to remove the engine fuse (unless you like being covered in oil ) if you use the dry sump pump you will feel a quiet obvious pulsating pushing back at you stop cranking the motor and put a large bolt in the other end with a hose clamp

start motor and off ya go

now next time you end up with an airlock or just a strip down just repeat instead of pulling the balancer off and worrying about gaskets

oh and what ever you do use high pressure hose otherwise risk blowing the hose and causing engine damage due to total loss of oil

if this isn't clear enough please ask :thumbsup: :mods:

Last edited:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
pics would be good. Though ill never need this, it would be good to see.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Last edited:

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
and i forgot to say wire the end of the hose to the thermo fan bracket to stop it moving about when cornering

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
vrwagz1

thanks for the interest i hope you never have this issue but for me its all to common and lets be realistic who wants to go to all that trouble as many times as ive had to when there's a much more simple way nice wagon to funny thing my tow cars a nc fairlane but still wouldn't drive it like i do my vp ;)