Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Privacy/spying, does the US have any info on you?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm not sure if the US spaying saga has made headlines in Aussie like it has here. It seems that the NZ GCSB is complicit and is very well involved in the illegal spying on Kim Dotcom.

GCSB not linked to Prism spy network - Key - National - NZ Herald News

Having watched a news statement from the US president, it seems that the PRISM system referred to is not used to spy on US citizens but it does on anybody else in the world including it's Five Eyes partners (including Aussie and NZ).

It's really hard to say exactly what is going on, however if you have ever done any searches on any of the US based search engines on any subjects that aren't exactly squeaky clean chances are they are tracking those searches and anything else associated.

I think Kim Dotcom is on a winner with his new service which is fully encrypted.

Some of you may say that if you have nothing to hide than you have nothing to fear, but under this system all are considered guilty. Under new legislation recently enacted into NZ law, the definition of terrorism is very loose, protesting in groups of greater than 3 can be considered a terrorist act which instantly allows the state to invoke much tougher search and surveillance laws including placing hidden cameras and microphones in peoples bedrooms.

I personally don't trust our current PM and his regime with the laws enacted in the last few years, under urgency which means the general public have absolutely no say or have very little if any insight into the laws been passed. The best example of this is probably the 88 cases of illegal spying which occurred in the last few years and has been exposed by the Dotcom affair, our PM's response is to change the law so that spying becomes legal.....

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I have nothing to hide so stuff like this doesn't phase me.

As for being considered guilty, that's just paranoia and tin foil hat stuff. The average Joe has nothing to be worried about.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The system in the US does not distinguish between guilt and innocence, it monitors ( and stores for later use ) all data.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Ya'll know i have no secrets anyway.

#noshame

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I have nothing to hide so stuff like this doesn't phase me.

What about the people you talk to? They might have things to hide, That could drag you into the mix.
I think its more the USA being paranoid more than the people they are monitoring.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
If its on facebook/twitter the world already effectively knows about it.

In Australia we have 'sedition' laws. Basically its against any communication/act that supports terrorism. But, I don't know if there have been any charges laid under this law (enacted 2005).

So its ok to say 'I support the establishment of a Palestinian State', you cannot then say, for example, 'I support the Palestinian people's right to protect themselves against Zionist aggression'.

It is obvious that 'someone' is monitoring my internet usage, I get ads on the screen that co-incidentally are related to things I have been browsing about, are on facebook, etc.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
If its on facebook/twitter the world already effectively knows about it.

In Australia we have 'sedition' laws. Basically its against any communication/act that supports terrorism. But, I don't know if there have been any charges laid under this law (enacted 2005).

So its ok to say 'I support the establishment of a Palestinian State', you cannot then say, for example, 'I support the Palestinian people's right to protect themselves against Zionist aggression'.

It is obvious that 'someone' is monitoring my internet usage, I get ads on the screen that co-incidentally are related to things I have been browsing about, are on facebook, etc.

I know little about IT, but i think those ads are linked to your Cookies.

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
awr0oMD_700b.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
they've got info on me for sure, im one of their citizens...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I feel very very sorry for whoever is monitoring me. They are in for a *very* boring existence