Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem spark plugs

gsgib55

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY SS Crewman ute 5.7 L
howdy everyone , thought this might interest , purchased a new set of 'Super 4' type plugs [ that is what they were called previously ] for my VY 5.7 , the problem being , the type purchased NGK / R Iridium for the reason they have 4 earth electrodes BUT this type has a flush center electrode , the center electrode doesn't stand tall like the standard spark plug and I have discovered after installing them that is a big problem , it causes MISFIRING which gets worse quite quickly , they are quite expensive when buying a set for a V8 and it is worse when they have a serious design flaw , I have since obtained another set of plugs and the problem seems to be solved . BOSCH , I found , sells the best type , which have either 2 , 3 or 4 earth electrodes and a center electrode which stands up to the same height as the earth electrodes the way it should . I hope this helps to solve any similar problems others might be having . I am not interested in using standard plugs anymore , the engine doesn't like them and they give lousy economy and performance .

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d say you’ve experienced the counterfeit spark plug market.