Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem turning over

carnoob1

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 commodore VS ute
I have an issue with my 94 vs ute. It has probably been occurring since I got it 8 months ago, but seems to have become worse over the last few days.

Often, when starting, it won't turn over, making instead like a low whirring noise, kind of like the first step of the startup process is occuring, but something just isnt catching for the next step.... if that make sense. Second go will usually turn over and start the car without issue.

Earlier today, something happened a couple of times where the car would start turning over, but kind of drop out to the whirring noise. It did this a couple of time, but subsequent trials saw the car turning over without issue.

I guess its probably something to do with the starter motor. Can anyone provide any advice?

Thanks

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Start by taking the starter motor out and checking the ring gear on the flywheel, it will usually wear in 3 places. If the ring gear looks ok then it would be the starter motor.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Is there any grinding noises? was there any grinding noises before it got this bad?

It sounds like the starter is engaging the motor but the gear teeth aren't meshing....

Basic 101 in slow motion text..

Solenoid pulls in,
Pulls the fork with it and throws out the driving gear into the ring gear/flywheel teeth
Contact at the back of the solenoid (Big copper strip) contacts the main positive contact (where the main batt + connects) to the starter motor drive contact.

In theory engine turns over...

Sounds like the solenoid is working fine, if it wasn't then you wouldn't hear the whir of the starter (just that familiar click/cluck of the solenoid throwing in but no one home at the switch).

Once again was there any can't find em grind em noises before this all started?
If there was occasionally and was ignored as it finally grabbed on the 2nd/3rd try, then this wears out the driven and drive teeth (the engine usually stops turning on a compression stroke so where it stops is usually only a few places) If the prior signs are ignored then everytime it grinds is usually the same place and the process starts again taking more metal with it like a file.

will try and get an audio sound of a knackered flywheel tomorrow, just happens i have 1 here where the 1 point that is worn also ate the starter drive gear enough that it couldn't grip at all, with a new g/c starter it atleast turns but the noise is like finger nails down a chalk board each time it hits that spot... (nails on a chalk board or damp polystyrene on glass don't worry me at all... but this sound.... is unmistakeably nasty & makes me cringe)

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Also would not hurt to check the battery aswell and connections to the battery and starter motor

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
I would of said the starter is not exting out to the flywheel/flexplate, and not engaging, and when it is it drops back out again, so its spinning up, just not extending, maybe if a mate has one you could try their one?