Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PROBLEM: VE International/Omega Alternator Light

Wilf

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Commodore International - LPG
I'm after some advice on an alternator light that's just popped up on my 09 VE International - LPG/Dual Fuel.

BACKGROUND:
Recently purchased a 09 VE, and don't know much about the service history.
Had an issue with the alternator about 3-4 weeks ago. On a quick drive the battery saver mode came on, and engineering mode confirmed car was sitting at ~10v and declining. Took it into a shop to get the alternator replaced. Battery died in the driveway of the shop, but a quick jump it had enough juice to drive onto the hoist.

Alternator replaced, apparently brand new OEM.

ISSUE:
Earlier in the week, started the car and got the "Alternator" warning message in the instrument MFD, and the battery light is illuminated.
Checked engineering mode and battery charge was 50%+ and battery voltage was 14.5v+.
Have restarted it about 4-5 times since then and always get the alternator message, and battery light it on all the time.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
So far I've checked:
  • Voltage at battery - engine off: ~12.1v consistently
  • Voltage from engineering mode: ~12v down to as low as 11.9v
  • Voltage at battery - engine on: ~14.5v - but does fluctuate slightly
  • Voltage from engineering mode: ~14.5v - again fluctuates slightly
Have checked voltage in engineering mode while turning lights, high beams, air con, and radio on. All cause a momentary dip in voltage, but then it jumps back to around 14.5v.

QUESTION:
Has anyone had the same problem, or any idea what the issue is?
It seems like the battery is charging, and voltage from the alternator is present and the regulator is working fine (and I'd expect the alternator to be fine as it's all just been replaced).
I did have concerns about the battery, as it did die during the battery saver mode incident (and I don't know how old it is) - but it's showing 12v without issue.
I've read a few other threads that mention regulator or dying alternator, but I don't think they are the cause here.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like an incorrect or cheap alternator
the ve is bcm controlled and voltage should fluctuate between 12.5 and high 14's
i assume the battery has been load tested ok
charge battery overnight, then go for highway drive
after about 15 minutes voltage should be in the 12's

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get the battery load tested.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Flogged out battery is my guess. No doubt the alternator gave up working it or the battery is flogged because of the crook alternator.

Wilf

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Commodore International - LPG
UPDATE: Drove the car a few more times, and then the light went out. Seems when then battery charge gets over 50% the alternator warning/lights no longer come on.

Had the battery load tested by RACV, who actually recommended against changing the battery. Their advice was to charge it and see how it performs.

According to engineering mode the battery is charging, and has been sitting somewhere between 60% and 70% for the last week.