Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with Car alarm in my VY

missx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
G'day all,

Sorry if i have doubled up on a thread somewhere, this is my first post on these forums.

Just last week I had a Alpine audio system installed in my car and am now enjoying great sounds and great vibrations... my only issue is i have no idea if my car has a functioning alarm system anymore.

Previously, if i locked my car and then unlocked the boot and opened it, the horn would blast and set the alarm off. I would then need to put the key in the igniton and reset the alarm. The same thing would happen if i locked my car manually using the key, but unlocked it using the button.
I tried these yesterday and the alarm no longer sounds.

As stupid as it sounds, i have tried and tried and have been unable to set my car alarm off!!

I rang Holden to get some advice and they were surprisingly less than helpful (i have always been very happy with Holden) I also rang back the Audio store to get their opinion, they said they'd have a look at it for me but didn't think taking out the existing audio system (Blaupunkt CD Player) would have affected the alarm system.

If anyone has any answers on how i can find out if my alarm is infact working, or what might be the problem, it would be much apreciated. I live in a fairly shitty area and am almost tempted to sleep in my car until i know if the alarm is working or not!!

Cheers

milo

Reaction score
Easy way to test if the factory alarm is working

Open the drivers side door, grab a screw driver and push it into the door lock (simulate the door being closed) so the actuator is in the door shut position, Hold in the Pin switch on the A Pillar then press the lock button on the remote then wait 10 secs then remove your finger from the door pin switch the alarm should sound then just press the unlock button to shut it up, if that doesnt work stick the key in the ingition barrel and move it to the Red and it should shutup

I should point out that the factory VY/VZ alarm is useless its easily disabled, ive been installing alarm upgrades for years and even upgrades can be overridden but you have to know what sort of upgrade is in the car.

missx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Thanks for that milo, i'll give it a go.