Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with cruise control

Shelfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II ute
Hey guys, i drive a 97 VS II ute V6 model and i've had a problem with my cruise control. I've hooked it up myself with a genuine patch loom i pulled out of a wreck and installed myself, all the voltages on the back seem to be correct and it looks like everything should work in theory but you know how that turns out... something always has to go wrong. i've tried replacing the module itself with not luck but while replacing it i noticed that the old CC module was an RJ type and my new one is an RP, does anyone know what this means or what the difference is? i also heard that cruise control doesnt work well with speed alert boxes, which my car also has. if anyone could shed some light i'd greatly appreciate it!

here's some stats about what i'm reading at the end of the wires:
Pink wire(from fuse 11): 12V output
Black wire(earth): perfect earth(beep tested it)
Green wire(pulse from instruments): 6V while stopped about 3.4V while driving above 55km/hr with the speed alert attatched(unsure of what happens without the speed alert but it is different)
Grey/Green wire(cruise on): relay works perfectly through BCM and 12V while on
Grey/Black(cruise reset): 12V while button is held and turns off when button is released
Blue(cruise engage):12V while button is held and turns off when button is released
white(cruise engage light): no voltage but attatches to the instrument cluster
Brown(brake switches): 12V till clutch or brake is depressed then 0V

Help really would be appreciated, thanks.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
i have no idea what voltages should be where... but i can tell you this....

With the CC Module OUT of the car... when you press the ON/OFF button on the end of the indicator stalk, the CRS light should illuminate in your cluster.

and if you push "resume/acc" or "set/coast" after that... nothing will illuminate. as it doesnt have the CC module connected.

So if you dont get that in your cluster... something is wrong with the connections between your CC stalk and the cluster.

Have you remembered the CC relay?

Shelfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II ute
yeah everything in the car works, the relay is in the right place and does its job perfectly. the CC module is IN the car so i can test it while driving but still nothing seems to turn it on. i believe it has something to do with the pulse wire as that voltage changes between when the speed alert is in and when it isnt

Shelfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II ute
Could someone with cruise control and the speed alert test the voltages coming out of there connector going into the CC module? i'd really appreciate it just to see what's going wrong with mine or whether i just have a busted module. maybe if you could read the sticker on the side of the module and tell me the letters on the side of it too.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Most CC probs will be the brake switch. Has this been set correctly. A test is to by pass it - but you must be ready to turn it off via the stork if it hooks up :)

Shelfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II ute
it works perfectly boss, if you look at the voltage read outs i posted above it shows how i get a current untill i depress either the brake or clutch then it cuts out. that's exactly what it's meant to do.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My module has RP on it and is a VS series 2. I retrofitted mine a few months ago just before going on a long trip - tested it around town and all was good....but 20km into the long trip I select cruise and no cruise light came on - just like your problem.
So I pull up after a few hundred Km away meanwhile thinking what the hell could be wrong. Then I remembered that the day before I left I'd pulled the boot spoiler to clean under it and had to 'stretch' the brake light wires when removing. So I figured it could be a busted wire OR the second brake switch which I had trouble adjusting when installing.
Anyway, I rejoined the spoiler brake wires and then reset the cruise brake switch - I pressed hard on the brake pedal and then pushed down on the brake switch till I felt it slide down to meet the pedal then pulled the pedal back up to adjust the switch. It worked - I had cruise.
So in my case it was either the brake light not making contact OR the brake switch incorrectly adjusted.
I'll try and measure the voltages in the morning as it's blowing cold outside and I'm scared of the dark!
Hope the above makes sense.

Shelfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II ute
it all makes perfect sense i just need people to realise that it's not the brake switches. i've tested the wires and switches with a volt meter and they're working perfectly. no glitches no nothing. i get 12V going into my CC module through the brown wire(brake switch wire) untill i depress the brake or clutch then POW! nothing in my little brown wire. i'd really appreciate those read outs if you can get them bro! you'd save my life.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
In the morn I'll pull the connector off the module and measure each pin with different scenarios.
Things you need to confirm:
1...do you have the extra brake switch? (as in 2 brake switches + 1 clutch switch)
2...have you disconnected the battery to reset the ECU/BCM?
3...are you 100% sure the CRS relay is plugged into the correct slot? (double-check)
4...is the connector to the module undamaged? (no dirt - shiny contacts)
5...Also when sitting in the car if turn the ignition on and press cruise on does the CRS light come on?

Answers to the above will rule out some unanswered queries!!!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
OK - here are the voltages as requested:

Ignition off = all connections 0vdc

Ignition on =
pink....12vdc
brown....12vdc
white....12vdc
green....6.6vdc
all other connections 0vdc

Ignition on AND CRS on
pink....12vdc
brown....12vdc
white....12vdc
green....6.6vdc
grey/green tracer....12vdc
All other connections 0vdc

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

ps...mine has speed alert so you can rule that out as a problem.
Also...when brake is pressed, 12vdc is still detected at the brown wire!

Last edited: