Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problem with drivers side door lock (2002 vy sedan)

danglez38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore acclaim
Ok so i picked up my vy commy couple of months ago and at first it was fine.
However, now i use the remote to unlock my car and all the locks work fine except for the drivers side. 50% of the time, the drivers side lock will only come up halfway and i have to use to key to bring it up the rest of the way.

Now heres where it gets weird

However if i simply use the key to begin with instead of the remote, it triggers the alarm.
Not sure if it could be the actuator, the actual lock itself (the bit you grab) did break but i couldnt see how that would affect the mechanism working.
Please help i am out of ideas

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I have (along with alot of other members) a similar problem on my VP berlina mainly with the rear doors, I pulled one of the door trims off to find that all of the locking mechanisms had gumed up with 20 years of grime, i checked and cleaned all of the electrical connections (i dont think this did anything) and then heavily applied WD-40 on everything mechanical, i think i sprayed it 4 times working the grease in each time, then i repeated the same process with some general purpose silicon based lubricant.
I only did one door for testing purposes, and now that one door works perfectly every time and all the others are glitchy.

If you cant be bothered taking the door trim off, you could try spraying alot of grease into the exposed mechanism, but be warned that some dispersers like WD-40 can strip paint and should be washed off immediately.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I would start with giving it a good clean and lube as mentioned above. You'll have to remove the door trim.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Consider the WD-40 a temporary fix and cleaning step. It's so thin that it doesn't work particularly well as a lubricant long term. For a longer term fix apply one of the Lithium based spray greases after the WD-40.

Useful heads up if some of the other water dispersants strip paint but I've never had WD-40 do so. I've used it as a solvent to help remove tar spots and traces of double sided tape adhesive from paint. It works also as a dodgy spruce up on faded paint (it doesn't last but looks good for a while).

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I always use WD-40 to clear out grime, and do a quick lube up, then as i said use a silicon base lube to last.
It was a very old bush bashing ute that the WD-40 took paint off, i think it got under the paint through stone ships, and then lifted it off.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Replaced the solenoid In my drivers side door today

Sent From My Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk