Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with installing alpine head unit.

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So I bought a Alpine CDA-105E for my VT Commodore. Now I've never installed a aftermarket head unit before but I'm not a complete dunce when it comes to electrical stuff. So I looked up how to's sort of things and got as much info as possible before starting. I also went out and bought a wiring harness because I didn't want to cut the existing adapter out. So I hooked up all the wires and then plugged it in. All good, head unit is working and I'm getting sound. About two minutes later while I'm trying a CD and mucking around with the bass and treble settings. I get to the balance setting and turn it all the way to left and all good, then turn it all the way right and got no sound at all. So after a bit of fiddling I found out that the right front and rear speakers were not working. So I had a bad feeling I might have blown my right front and rear speakers so I turn off my car, unplug the head unit and put in my old stock one. Every speaker is working no problems. I figure I might have stuffed up the wiring on the speakers so I go over it again and rewire them, rejoin and stuff. Still no progress only left front and rear speakers working.

Now I've got a feeling it's either the Alpine head unit or the wiring harness that is dodgy. Anyone else have any other ideas on what could be wrong?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
most of the time the adaptor wiring harness' arn't allways correct and im thinking that the right channel may be in the wrong spot on the harness

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So you mean the pin may be in the wrong spot?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeap pinouts are wrong for the harness as meantioned or most likely the colors are off.

the other thing to try is sticking bits of wire in the end of both plugs (making the circuit) so u can fully test if the pinouts are wrong.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
have a look in the manual for the headunit to see where the right channel wire is , then just match it up with the standerd right channel holden wiring and should work

EDIT : heres the wiring for the holden speaker wires

All the negatives are joined together and are the light blue wire. Not many HU these days support the "common earth" system and as such require you to rewire the whole speaker set-up which in reality considering the age of the car isn't such a bad thing after all.

VN - VZ

Accesories - Yellow
Constant - Orange/White
Illumination - Brown/White
Earth - Black/White
12V OUTPUT - Yellow/Red
Radio Mute - Yellow/Black (VT onwards)
Antenna up - White (VR onwards)
Antenna down - Blue (VR onwards)
Illumination OUTPUT - Grey (VT onwards)

Speakers
Front Left (+) - Tan
Front Left (-) - Grey
Front Right (+) - Light/Green
Front Right (-) - Dark/Green
Rear Left (+) - Brown/Black
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Blue
Rear Right (+) - Blue/Orange
Rear Right (-) - Blue/Black

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Everything seems to be in the right position, I even switched the positive and negative cables around for the right front and rear and still nothing. It's really starting to annoy me. I'm thinking I might go out tomorrow and try to get it professionally installed or get rid of the wiring harness and just hook right into it.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Are your speakers amped? Sometimes if the RCA's aren't in the correct spots on the amp it can cause loss of sound on one side of the car. It was a pain in the ass for me when i first started messing with car audio years ago. It drove me nuts lol.

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Nah speakers are not amped. It's all stock except for the head unit and when I put the old head unit back in everything works fine again. Left right rear and front.

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ok now I have a different problem, stock head unit still works however after rewiring the harness and trying the Alpine head unit back in it won't start up. Is it possible I've blown the head unit?

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
i doubt uve blown the head unit, think the vt;s have 2 fuses under the steering wheel bit for the stereo check those first..