Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with installing alpine head unit.

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The stock head unit is still working in it though.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
post up some pics of the wiring harness and the stock wiring harness

Coxy2097

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
im planning on putting an alpine headunit in my vt on the weekend... what harness did you use? and is it possible to get a harness that you can just plug in and everything should just work?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Unfortunately its not very common to use one of these harness adaptors and all the wiring is correct, usually you'll have to swap one or two wires around.

Noonan

Reaction score
Members Ride
80' VB Commodore
VB Aftermarket head unit

i bought a new pioneer head unit for my commodore a few weeks ago.. there is only one power wire for it and no battery wire.. i had to put the battery wire and accessory wire both to that one wire and now the head unit resets every time the car is switched off. How do i run a power wire and do i need a fuse for it?
Cheers Noonan

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ahh the good old VB.....my favourite car of all time......the memories ;) pics?

Right, back on topic (lol). You have two options here mate, one is to "tap" into you brakelight switch power and use that for your constant (yellow) wire (not the best idea but it does work). The other is as you say, you'll need to run a dedicated wire from the positive terminal to the head-unit, fused within 30cm of the battery.

You'll need the following:

* 3m of 12awg power cable
* 1x Inline fuseholder (the blade versions, not the glass ones)
* A ring terminal for the battery.

Ahh hell, just because youve got a VB heres some links of the gear ;)

Power cable-
Red 25 Amp DC Auto Power Cable - Jaycar Electronics

Fuseholder-
30A InLine Stackable Blade Fuseholders - Jaycar Electronics

Ring terminal-
http://www.autotoys.com/pics/yellowringterminal1.jpg

As far as getting it through the firewall goes, is it an auto or manual? if its an auto then have a look for the clutch cable grommit, cut a small hole in that and feed it through there, if its manual just have a good look around on the firewall for a grommit, or where some wiring goes through into the cabin.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
You can also pick up the constant power from behind the plug in the analog clock in the dash.... I use to use this for a constant source of power and you dont have to fuse it as it is already fused with the clock...

Try this and see how you go....

cheers

Simon

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I think the main problem with "tapping" into exsisting constant power sources is the fact the stereo draws its current from this wire (10A), and this may overload the fuse, so the user replaces it with a higher rating one and ends up frying the stock wire. (Have witnessed this a few times now).

It does "work", but its not the proper way to obtain constant 12v, thats all.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
QUOTE=holdenboy;1181413]I think the main problem with "tapping" into exsisting constant power sources is the fact the stereo draws its current from this wire (10A), and this may overload the fuse, so the user replaces it with a higher rating one and ends up frying the stock wire. (Have witnessed this a few times now).

It does "work", but its not the proper way to obtain constant 12v, thats all.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right, but the constant power wire really only supplies the memory with power (clock, Radio Presets etc....)I have never seen a constant power wire draw 10A, however I have seen people pick up power from other sources and overload circuits and I think from memory the fuse on the clock circuit is rated at 10A. (It has been a while though....).

I have also witnessed people "tapping" into the brake switch wire and caused all sorts of problems..

cheers

Simon