Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem With My Vk

V

VKBoy

Hi all,

ive recently just bought a VK station wagon, but ever since then ive been having the strangest problem!

It drives fine for about 20-25 mins, then all of a sudden it just loses power. The vacuum goes down, and the car just slows down till the engine stops. It sounds like its losing fuel. If i let it sit for about 5 mins, and try to start it, it coughs and splutters like its starting to get fuel, then it starts and goes fine for another 5 minutes then it all happens again.

Its just not driveable! Ive changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, leads but so far no luck. Tomorrow im going to change the fuel pump to see if this fixes it, but im not sure if it will as the carby gets fuel fine.

The vacuum gauge in the dash comes from the carby doesnt it? So wouldnt that mean that if its losing vacuum in the carby, that the carby is the problem? Its a varajet.

Also the engine temp does not rise, but when starting the car and for the first few minutes, the oil pressure gauge stays at about half, but after about 10 minutes it goes down into the red, this is confusing because i know the car has plenty of oil!

Please can someone offer any advice? I desperately need this car on the road!!

Thanks,

VKBoy.

V

VBSL79

I Had the same problem with me VH Commdore wagon i was driveing it started to die i kept driveing it top speed i think was 60 i got home then it wouldent start at all. I Changed every thing over carby, Coil, Leads and i found the problem was the electronic distributor once i changed it over it started up 1st time and never miss a beat try that see if that helps you

Good Luck Mate

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
if the vacum gauge is showing low vacum after 10 mins or so it sounds like a manifold air leak,or check your power brake booster vacum lines,also check around the carby to see if there are any air leeks ,when the motor gets hot it could open up an existing vacum leak, start the motor then let it idle,get a piece of long garden hose or that clear plastic tube from the hardware store ,about60 cm or so,hold the hose on to any vacum hoses try and wiggle them a bit and listen for a sucking noise,this will indicate an air leak,also listen around the base of the carby for air leaks ,,wiggle it a bit to see if its loose,check all your vacum hose connections and try the carby bolts make sure they are all tight,try the manifold too ,see if its loose,,some of these procedures i would try before you start the motor, ie check for loose components
cheers fergi

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
ps usually the vacum line comes from the inlet manifold
cheers fergi

V

VKBoy

Well today i bought a new High Energy coil for it. Drove it for 1/2 hour then it broke again.

Though this time i took off the oil breather cap and saw that a few rockers werent moving!!!

Well now i know what it is! Theres no oil getting to the head, thats why the oil pressure is low. The valves get too hot, seize up, no fuel or exhaust gases, therefore engine stops..

Wait for it to cool down, they start moving again and seize up 5 mins later!

Well thats got me thinking that its either oil pickup or oil pump??....

I know that the valves and seats would obviously be a bit damaged.. how much im not sure, but if i can get the oil flowing again, then it would obviously help it a lot!

Can anyone suggest what i could look at first? How i could go about fixing this problem?

Thanks,

VKBoy.