Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problem with power steering

B

bagmup

hey all, I have just started having trouble with the power steering on my 1994 5 litre Vr. The power steering cuts in and out, it goes from normal to near impossible to steer at low speeds. I have been told it could be a sensor on the rack, also that it could be a sensor on the gearbox that lets the rack know what gear it is in. This happened to anyone else? what was the prob?

bagmup

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
More than likely you got pieces of telflon floating around the system and everynow and then it blocks up and you loose power assistance, mainly in the pressure relief valve in the pump.
The only way to completely fix is to overhaul pump and rack, and flush the lines and check the power assist solenoid.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hey all, I have just started having trouble with the power steering on my 1994 5 litre Vr. The power steering cuts in and out, it goes from normal to near impossible to steer at low speeds. I have been told it could be a sensor on the rack, also that it could be a sensor on the gearbox that lets the rack know what gear it is in. This happened to anyone else? what was the prob?

bagmup

Sounds like the 'Variotronic' system has packed up, seems to be a pretty common problem. I believe that Holden discontinued the use of this system from VX onwards, due to the amount of problems they were having with it. You might be better off just installing a standard rack, should the only option be to replace the one you have now.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The book says "vehicles equipped with speed sensitive steering have a solenoid attached to the steering gear pinion valve housing....the solenoid is directed by the body control module and alters the position of the rotary control valve to modulate the boost to the steering gear power piston giving maximum boost at low speed or parking manoeuvres and minimum boost with maximun road feel at high speed driving and cornering"

So thats the story and as Harvs82 indicates if its going to cost big$$$ then change to the standard system.

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Yep I had EXACTLY that problem a few months back. Do a search on Varitronic steering in this forum. Mine turned out to be a small bit of what looked like orange colored plastic jambed in the varitronic steering solenoid port. I bought another solenoid, removed the rack, swapped the solenoid and fixed it perfectly. You might get away with just pulling the solenoid, cleaning out any rubbish and flushing the lines thru. BTW I paid about $180 for the solenoid, but they did say about $220, so beat them down if you have to get one.

Good luck
Tim

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
My statie had the same problem, try going around a corner with it constantly changing.....in the end changed the pump, problem still happened so one day got really umm upset and revved it to 5500 in park, problem fixed my guess i had crap floating around in the system, let me know how it pans out....