Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problems after big exhaust leak

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
okay sorry if i do anything wrong i'm 5 mins into the site,
ile start with the car info
2006 holden commodore ve ssv l98 recently serviced oil, filter spark plugs twin tip irridium

so my problem is i had an exhaust leak in bank 2 which caused the car to run lean in my understanding, the leak was from the headers to the cats flange, fixed with high temp copper exhaust silicone ( not sure if copper silicone is the best idea but im getting headers cats and tune in march ) the leak was really bad sounded heavily cammed, the car had a really rough idle and litterally felt like a 4 cylinder on foot down, the first thing to pop up was (esp off) followed by a flashing check engine light. i ran the codes with my $60 code reader and it said (p0171) which is code for bank 1 running lean which is weird because bank 2 was the one that had the leak, so i did some investigating and the left from the drivers side spark plugs all 4 were covered in black soot and the right ones were okay but looked a bit white, i changed them to regular ones as i didnt want to further damage my $26 a piece x 8 spark plugs till the problem was fixed. so i took all the 02 sensors out ( all 4 ) before and after the cat and cleaned them using maf sensor cleaner and soaking them in petrolium. now i thought well if its the o2 sensor on the left thats buggered ile try to put the ones that had the most carbon on them ( the left ones exhaust leak side ) on the right and see if a p0174 code poped up ( bank 2 lean ) as that would clearly mean they are buggered but didn't work. now im absolutey stumped and i took it for a drive and it was all fine untill there was very sluggish performance and esp came up again. and check engine light p0171 too lean bank one. now im stuck also i broke the collant temperature sensor connector on the left p0113 contact dealer that doesent help either. just have had the worst luck with this car since i bought it and its a perfect example of a clean ssv any help will be appreciated. I look forward from hearing anyones comments on this sorry for the long essay but i wanted to make sure everyone had all the info so i dont waste anyones time, thanks in advance i look forward to contributing the just commodores community.
thanks
johnathan

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
With your ODB dongle reset the codes.
Pull the negative on battery for a couple hours to reset the long term fuel trims.
Take it easy on startup let idle and relearn trims with driving normally but vary load slightly for a few km / 5 mins then to part throttle and tip-in, then observe response during heavy (WOT). But no need to wind up more than 2250 rpm.
Will take about 100km to normalise.

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Thanks mate, ile do that and get back tomorrow, if the ecu thinks the problem is still present will that cause the car to have those problems, it only occurs when the car warms up I noticed that now after 2 attempts of driving,
Thanks

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Thanks mate, ile do that and get back tomorrow, if the ecu thinks the problem is still present will that cause the car to have those problems, it only occurs when the car warms up I noticed that now after 2 attempts of driving,
Thanks
Yes while warming up it doesn’t use feedback from exhaust sensors.
If still playing up I’d also look to cleaning the MAF and logging the fuel trims via OBD.

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Okay thanks, i have already disconnected it ile take it for a drive after work tomorrow

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Yeah it threw code p0151 ( bank 2 sensor 1 ) so it was definitely the 02 sensor getting some denzo ones tomorrow or Monday, thanks allot mate

Johnathan1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve ssv
Yeah I changed the 2 front ones, and disconnected the battery and did the whole thing again but stability control still turns off and idle is really lumpy and the revs arnt consistent on idle, I cleaned the maf and checked the Pcv hose for leaks, now it throws a code p0171 and p0174 so now both sides are running lean, I’m so confused!

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Yeah I changed the 2 front ones, and disconnected the battery and did the whole thing again but stability control still turns off and idle is really lumpy and the revs arnt consistent on idle, I cleaned the maf and checked the Pcv hose for leaks, now it throws a code p0171 and p0174 so now both sides are running lean, I’m so confused!
Which Denso 02 sensors exactly? Perhaps you have the wrong part?
Best replacement is Bosch EGO106BOS.2 BTW GM part 12569429 is apparently stamped Denso as OEM, part 213-1568.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Which Denso 02 sensors exactly? Perhaps you have the wrong part?
Best replacement is Bosch EGO106BOS.2 BTW GM part 12569429 is apparently stamped Denso as OEM, part 213-1568.
Generally a dirty MAF will cause lean condition, and bad O2 sensors go rich. So if 100% that int and exh sensors are good and correct then recheck pipes and tubes near throttle body like the evap solenoid circuit. Also your MAP sensor is push-in type, worth a look.
Still no luck then reset Long Term fuel Trims again and scan OBD to log extent and under what conditions either side is going 25%+ to try and pinpoint the nature of the leak.
Good news is that because is both sides is unlikely an exhaust leak!

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Also @Johnathan1111 do you have catch can or maybe taken the injectors out to inspect lately?