Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems after installing high ratio roller rockers

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

I purchased the high ratio roller rockers around July/August last year but didn't get a chance to install them until today.

Anyway everything went together really well but I am now having the following problems,

1. Loud ticking noise coming from the engine.

2. Big power loss. I just took it up the road and back but it doesn't accelerate anywhere near as quick as it did before. Seems like it is really holding back.

I have checked to make sure all the vacuum hoses and everything is back on correctly and can't see anything, so any suggestions as to what it could be?

Cheers,
Ben

P.S, car is a VS 3.8L Supercharged.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
Have you disconnected the battery (10 seconds or longer) to clear the ECU's previous configuration? If you didnt then you could try that

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I didn't know that I had to do that, but I will give it a go now. Thanks mate :)

MACE

Reaction score
Please get back to us on our support site with your order details, along with full engine history (engine originally a VS or out of a VY) etc. My gut tells me that the pushrods are fowling up somewhere either on the cylinder head or rocker pedestals. Check out the trouble shooter steps below

Troubleshooter -

For support use the link below

Customer Support -

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If they aren't torqued down correctly they will rattle/tick like crazy and could lose power.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey guys,

I purchased the high ratio roller rockers around July/August last year but didn't get a chance to install them until today.

Anyway everything went together really well but I am now having the following problems,

1. Loud ticking noise coming from the engine.

2. Big power loss. I just took it up the road and back but it doesn't accelerate anywhere near as quick as it did before. Seems like it is really holding back.

I have checked to make sure all the vacuum hoses and everything is back on correctly and can't see anything, so any suggestions as to what it could be?

Cheers,
Ben

P.S, car is a VS 3.8L Supercharged.
Could well be the pushrods fouling the castings on the cylinder head walls , I had the same problem with my VX last year , when I had the 1.9:1 rockers fitted , Mace sent a set out to me which fixed the problem straight away .

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Just pulled down the left side of the engine again (passenger side) and the push rods do have marks on them from rubbing on the head. Now I am pretty sure I tensioned them down correctly (still working out the new tension wrench), but will over tightening cause them to rub or will I need different pushrods or roller rockers?

P.S. resetting the ECU did make a difference but still not right, and still noisy.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'd say the pushrods are the problem then.

New set of thinner chrome-molys will set that straight.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I still have the receipt and it says on the invoice to suit VS-VY so I thought it would be right, it is a VY engine though in a VS.