Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems after installing high ratio roller rockers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The power loss is really noticeable. In fact, the second road test it was going a little better so I accelerated more and the supercharger seemed to be screaming heaps more then usual, but I wasn't getting thrown back in to the seat like normal. And the ticking noise seemed to get worse the warmer the engine got.

I will get these push rods from Steve and give it another go, was shocked because I expected power gain but I lost power haha.

The noise may be setting off the knock sensors.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
The noise may be setting off the knock sensors.

Yeah that's not a good thing, I wont be running the engine anymore until I get the new new push rods and put it back together, don't want to do any damage to the engine haha. Might even check the codes once it's all back together.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
As you said before VY runs slightly shorter pushrods I'm pretty sure.

That's what I got told when I was going to do them.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

I'm pretty sure they are the same length.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Nope, standard engines run exactly the same push rods. VY (and some VX models) will need the 5/16" push rods to ensure proper clearance in the push rod holes due to the excessive casting flashes (from poor mould maintenance).

It's a shame that you didn't let MACE know you were rebuilding the engine, with the heads off it would have been easy to clean up those casting flashes while the heads were off and would have solved this problem.

BIG TIP to those that are rebuilding or have the heads off their late model ecotec/L67 engines, check and clean up the push rod holes.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Ended up buying myself a new torque wrench yesterday, couldn't get the hang of my dads one. Doesn't have ft lbs, and it doesn't have the pin that clicks when you reach the tension. New one is fantastic though and now I can be assured that the rockers will really be at the correct tension.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I got a reply today from Dean @ Mace Engineering, he confirmed that I needed new pushrods, and I replied to him but not sure whether he will get it or not.

Can someone just email me an invoice so I can pay for them and get them sent out? He said $110 delivered.

Cheers,
Ben

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ended up buying myself a new torque wrench yesterday, couldn't get the hang of my dads one. Doesn't have ft lbs, and it doesn't have the pin that clicks when you reach the tension. New one is fantastic though and now I can be assured that the rockers will really be at the correct tension.
Good stuff , when they are fitted they do make a difference , I noticed mine has more punch in the mid to high rev range , so good for over taking , and also a bit lumpier at idle

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Good stuff , when they are fitted they do make a difference , I noticed mine has more punch in the mid to high rev range , so good for over taking , and also a bit lumpier at idle

Yeah I actually noticed the exhaust had a different note but I thought it was because something wasn't right lol, can't wait to get the new pushrods and see what it's like though :D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
I had to use different pushrods in mine when I changed to the 1.9.1 rockers too. Mid and top end should be a little snappier for sure.