Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems I'm having with 1991 VN Commodore S wagon.

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Problems I am having with 1991 VN Commodore S wagon.

- Engine stalls after driving to complete stop, suspected that kick down cable isn't working properly as I accidentally pulled the cable hard (broke the plastic surround on the gearbox) while removing the engine/trans a few months ago. But doesn't stall all the time only once every now again. - No error codes - only code 12 comes up.

- Automatic Transmission - 1st and 2nd low has "clicking" sound while driving, in Drive doesn't have any clicking noises. What might be wrong? Soon will service the transmission but want to know before I open the pan up. (story - about 2 weeks ago, was trying to pull an tree sump out and might have damaged something in transmission in 1? ever since after that it has clicking noises)

– on Highway around 100 - 110 kmh has noises coming from rear - sounds like water rushing thru pipes, I am not sure If its the diff or rear bearings going, but the funny thing is, if I am driving on smooth road surface rather rough surface it quietens down? Maybe its because of the tyres I have that I'm hearing the road noises?

- Brakes - the brakes DOES feel like I have air in them as they aren't sharp and I cant really lock them up until I fully SLAM the pedal but after I drove 89 VN Exec & 93 VP Exec and they're both LOT way better than my wagon and I can lock them so easily, twice I've bleeded thru already used up 2 litres of bottles and we don't think it has air in it. But one thing I really noticed is the callipers are very similar to V6 ones without fins and the disc are roughly 260cms? As I quickly measured as it was getting dark, whereabouts I have 1" master cylinder (I realised that I have 1" as its inverted "1")

These are main things that are annoying me at the moment apart from that its a nice wagon to drive in.

Cheers & thanks
AP

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
- Brakes - the brakes DOES feel like I have air in them as they aren't sharp and I cant really lock them up until I fully SLAM the pedal but after I drove 89 VN Exec & 93 VP Exec and they're both LOT way better than my wagon and I can lock them so easily, twice I've bleeded thru already used up 2 litres of bottles and we don't think it has air in it. But one thing I really noticed is the callipers are very similar to V6 ones without fins and the disc are roughly 260cms? As I quickly measured as it was getting dark, whereabouts I have 1" master cylinder (I realised that I have 1" as its inverted "1")

Turns out to be the booster that is on its way out.
Cheers
AP