Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problems lowering VT

Jenga73

Reaction score
hey guys
i just lowered the front and arse end of my VT, SSL in the front and SL in the rear. The front is fine...the N/S/R however is scrubbing out on the wheel arch. has anyone had a ny problems with this. the diff looks like it has moved over the left about maybe 10-20mm, the O/S/R is fine. i no i need to put new shocks all round in the car and that will help a bit. ill probly get a cradle alignment too. anyone have any other ideas???
cheers guys

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
How was all the bushes, have you replaced them? No point doing work to your suspension if you have kept the old worn bushes in there.

VTSick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC
Moving to left doesn't sound right but does sound like you need a 4 point camber kit as when you go lower on vt's the camber is more pronounced also check the lower control arms. Get a tape measure and star measuring underneath from a central point near the box to the same diagonal points on both rear lower control arms to verify that it's central.Has this car been in a accident by any chance?
Frank

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yours gonna need ur rear guard rolled mate...
The problem with holden commodores (VTs and VXs) is that the rear wheels and whole diff assembly is actually a fraction to the left, this is not a problem when the cars are at standard ride height or fe2 but once u get to SSL and lower like mine (SSSL) you will run into trouble and more so if you get bigger rims.
I rolled my LHS rear guard and everything is fine now, you will find that the rubbing will be occuring toward the rear of the wheel arch, you might have to trim the rear inner guard aswell.
A camber kit will help the problem apparently but i don;t know as i have had a camber kit since before i lowered the car.

But yeah, the off center thing is common, my VX, my mates VT clubby and a few other VT's and VX's that i know of have the same problem.

Mind you when u take it into a place to get it lowered the guys don't tell u about it which is really annoying.

Rolling a guard will cost you about 80bux depending on where you go. You can try it yourself (Not advised) but if u so wish u will need a hot air gun to soften the paint and a mallet for the job.

Good luck with it and keep us posted

Jenga73

Reaction score
cheers for all thats guys
i put some new shocks in the rear this arvo and it is heaps better.
ill get the guards rolled in the next week or so.
just one queston for jesterarts, how many people can u fit in the car??

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I can fit about 12 people in the car... :p

lol

With 5 people i'm abit more cautious but still no issues...
Though whoever is in the back has an interesting ride.... i got pedders big bore short strut shocks in the back, their a racing shock and stiff AS!

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
one question, why make the angle of the car worse than it already is, wouldnt u stick lower springs in the rear than the front to make it even?

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
i have lowered my car recently, i had the same problem with my VT. the scrubbing. so i rolled the guards myself, its easier than it sounds. pretty much all i did was got a thick metal pipe and jacked the car up and down to the right height and rolled the pipe over the wheel under the body and u can see it bend the guard inside up some what. as far as im aware i have ultra low springs (pretty sure) so i had to roll a fair bit. but its real easy and if your tight on money like me, u can do it yourself, only takes about half an hour :)

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
have you got any pics of the job im quite interested in how that would turn out.