Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems starting a VK 3.3 EFI

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Hey guys,
l bought a vk 3.3 efi as a daily driver and am having problems starting it. It sounds like it lacking fuel. I've replaced the leads and spark plugs for good measure but unfortunately thats not it. We have been able to get it started and it will cut out after about 30 seconds to 1 minute if we let it idle, otherwise if we rev it abit (say 1500) then it won't cut out.
We're getting pressure out of the exhuast and it looks like it's sparking just fine which is why l think its something to do with the fuel.
What should l be looking for? Is there a way l can check for fuel pressure?

Any help would be great guys!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You say when you rev it it will keep running? You can get a pressure gauge and plug it into the end of the fuel rail the pressure should be higher than 36 psi.
Can you hear the fuel pump running? (mounted next to petrol tank)
Attached to the airbox is the AFM (well just call it that) it has a black lid on top if you take it off there is a screw for adjusting air/fuel mix.
Try advancing the dissy a lttle to keep it running sounds like its dying when AAV close and it not getting enough air or the idle is set to low.
After testing all those thing i'd check the tachometric relay(located in fuse box) dont think its the problem as it most likely wouldn't start altogether

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
You say when you rev it it will keep running? You can get a pressure gauge and plug it into the end of the fuel rail the pressure should be higher than 36 psi.
Can you hear the fuel pump running? (mounted next to petrol tank)
Attached to the airbox is the AFM (well just call it that) it has a black lid on top if you take it off there is a screw for adjusting air/fuel mix.
Try advancing the dissy a lttle to keep it running sounds like its dying when AAV close and it not getting enough air or the idle is set to low.
After testing all those thing i'd check the tachometric relay(located in fuse box) dont think its the problem as it most likely wouldn't start altogether

Thanks mate, l'll check all that now!

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Well it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is priming. On my VS you can quite easy hear the fuel pump when the key is turned to "on", where as l can't hear a thing on the vk. However when we take off the plug/screw on the end of the fuel rail, fuel does come out. Can a faulty fuel pump cause the symptoms l've been having (hard to start, sounds like it should but doesn't, when it does it's fine) ??

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yes it could i use to have a couple of efi's first was a calais you couldnt really hear the pump. The second car's pump was quite audible. But if your put your ear right next to it and you can't hear it prime.
Can you get it running and put your ear near and see if you can hear it then. If it does work might be tachometric relay.
You could also try running a power wire to positive side and see if it works.
Have you checked the fuel pump fuse?

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
yes it could i use to have a couple of efi's first was a calais you couldnt really hear the pump. The second car's pump was quite audible. But if your put your ear right next to it and you can't hear it prime.
Can you get it running and put your ear near and see if you can hear it then. If it does work might be tachometric relay.
You could also try running a power wire to positive side and see if it works.
Have you checked the fuel pump fuse?

Yeah, fuse and relay is fine, l've also replaced all the fuse's and checked all relays. can't get it running to check the fuel pump white it's running but when the ignition is turned "on" l can't hear anything, although as stated before, there is fuel in the fuel rail.

I am yet to change the afm yet as l'm not sure how much l'm suppose to turn it and which way.

I was thinking it could be clogged injectors but l didn't think that would explain why it doesn't start 95% of the time..

Oh well, l'll keep you guys updated with any progress.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah, fuse and relay is fine, l've also replaced all the fuse's and checked all relays. can't get it running to check the fuel pump white it's running but when the ignition is turned "on" l can't hear anything, although as stated before, there is fuel in the fuel rail.

I am yet to change the afm yet as l'm not sure how much l'm suppose to turn it and which way.

I was thinking it could be clogged injectors but l didn't think that would explain why it doesn't start 95% of the time..

Oh well, l'll keep you guys updated with any progress.

Ok first of the pump will only run for a few seconds when ithe ignition is in the on position.
If it was injectors it should still start but would run rough.
Ok i attached an image of the afm so you can see the screw in the center anti-clockwise is richer clockwise is leaner. A quarter of a turn would be plenty. But first i would advance the dissy forward a little (turning it anti-clockwise aswell) about 10-15 degrees.
The tachometric relay is a pain it hard to tell if its stuffed due to it complexity.
One thing its does is it wont supply petrol if it doesnt receive pulses from the coil above 150rpm. i'll attach another image which will help explain it purpose abit more checking the signal coming into to it might help eliminate possible problems.
Trying another relay would be the best option but at $120 a pop they're not cheap you'd be able get one from a self serve wreckers pretty easy.
I had a similar problem to yours when i got my second EFI VK wouldnt start when i bought it and took soo long to figure out what it was. It was a dodgy coil in the end and it was near new and when we tested it seemed to give spark but obviously wasn't enough or intermittant and the car wouldnt run.
So maybe trying another coil could be worth a shot

Last edited:

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Ok first of the pump will only run for a few seconds when ithe ignition is in the on position.
If it was injectors it should still start but would run rough.
Ok i attached an image of the afm so you can see the screw in the center anti-clockwise is richer clockwise is leaner. A quarter of a turn would be plenty. But first i would advance the dissy forward a little (turning it anti-clockwise aswell) about 10-15 degrees.
The tachometric relay is a pain it hard to tell if its stuffed due to it complexity.
One thing its does is it wont supply petrol if it doesnt receive pulses from the coil above 150rpm. i'll attach another image which will help explain it purpose abit more checking the signal coming into to it might help eliminate possible problems.
Trying another relay would be the best option but at $120 a pop they're not cheap you'd be able get one from a self serve wreckers pretty easy.
I had a similar problem to yours when i got my second EFI VK wouldnt start when i bought it and took soo long to figure out what it was. It was a dodgy coil in the end and it was near new and when we tested it seemed to give spark but obviously wasn't enough or intermittant and the car wouldnt run.
So maybe trying another coil could be worth a shot

You my friend are a champion!

With abit of tunning with the dizzy, it now starts 1st go and stays running!

It sounds like it might need abit of a tune up but it's great to see the old girl running.

Thanks again, l owe you a case!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
No worries mate glad i could help.
EDIT: thanks for the good rep mate

Last edited: