Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems starting VT

VT00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Auto sedan
Hi guys,

I have a 2000 series 2 VT and have recently been having a strange problem.

Lately, when i turn the ignition on, if either the AC is on, or the radio is up loud, or even sometimes in just the vents are on, the car has trouble starting. When i turn the key, it will try to kick over, but will then stop (kinda sounds likeit has no power to kick). I then turn off the AC, radio, vents etc and it will then start ok.

Also, i have just discoved that if I do the above (with accessories on) and it fails to start, if i hold the key in the start position for about another 2 seconds after it dies then it will kick over.

Is it just a battery problem or something more ?

Also, as a side note, this may or may not be related, but occasionly i will hear a sound like water trickling coming from the engine bay when the car is running (just after start up). Any ideas what this could be ?

Thanks for you help !

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
water in the radiator could be the sound of trickling lol
CAS is the most notorious sensor at giving owners grief as an intermittent fault while starting. check your error codes first

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Make sure all your battery connections are clean and tight. Check where the positive lead goes to the starter as well, make sure the nut is tight and that the solenoid cap isn't loose.

Could also be a dodgy starter relay.

gazzabrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
i actually have just encountered this same problem .i have vt clubsport gen 111 lsi motor .and when i drive a distance and say pull up at shops for a few minutes .turn car off and when go to start engine will kick over but wont keep running .then go call racq wait few minutes gueess . yes it starts . whats happening anyone

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Sounds like a dieing battery..

My VT was a **** to start, IF anything was on it struggled, After some time it didn't want to start, And if it turned over it would crank go silent then out of nowhere start just..
After some time it wouldn't charge and would tick and flash dash lights..
And someday it was fine and others after a good run it wouldn't start on the spot.. Wait bingo. But in the end it just died.

I replaced the battery and all is fine now.

Same thing with the vp as above, Replaced battery on that all is fine now.

Below I attached a sound of my VT starting when it had issues.. Have a listen and i never take the key off start until it runs.. Quality **** sorry..

Attachments

• carstart.zip
    45.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I would be thinking battery or connections. I would check your battery levels make sure they are ok, then go for the terminals and then the starter terminals.

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
digging up an oldie i know, but as this is the closest description ive found on here, to what my car does. i was wondering what happened in the end with gazza's car & vt100's.

Last edited: