Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems starting VT

a-rod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equip Commodore
Mine seems to be doing the same, all happened after i replaced the ignition barrel.

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
really........thats interesting. hmmm

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Read post #3.

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
the starter relay is the next thing im looking at, to be honest i havent used the car in over a week, so havent been thinking about it much. would the dealer be the only place to get a new relay ?
For now, i have just swaped the relays around, as they are the same between the start relay & the high beam & also the high speed fan. but i swaped the high beam one. will see if it it improves when i start using the car again.

Last edited:

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
i can safely say its not the starter relay. im now curious if its anything to do with fuel. either injectors or pump ? or an associated relay or diaphram ? because if it doesnt start properly after 3 attempts, it then takes a handfull of cranking to fire the next time.

darren44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 wagon Berlina
does the radio (if standard) need the code keyed in often. If so battery. But you say you have replaced it.
new relay maybe.

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
does the radio (if standard) need the code keyed in often. If so battery. But you say you have replaced it.
new relay maybe.

stereo is aftermarket. no issues with battery at all, cranks strong when it actually cranks, almost every first start stalls imediately now, then usually 2nd attempt ok, getting suspicious of the ignition barrel. but not really sure what that would have to do with it ? certainly not the ignition relay, im sure about that.
as a side issue.... Is it normal to have to take the key out after putting in lock position, it wont turn back on again unless i reinsert the key.. but its ok just turning back to acc.

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
Last edited:

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
have had look at that site, good info, but doesnt explain what symptoms of faults are very clearly, just made me more confused as to what to do.

Car played up real bad today, had to try at least 10 times to get it to start. half of those times was turning the key but nothing happening at all. so wonder if its actually getting worse.