Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems With Starting - no clue help me please!!!!

vxs3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Commodore S-Pack 5spd
Hey all!
Hope someone here can help me.

I have a problem with my VX Commodore. It only has 70000kms on it.
When i try to start it after not driving it for a day, i put the key in turn it and nothing happens. The radio turns on, ignition lights light up etc but the car wont even attempt to kick over. Sometimes if i hold the key for around 30secs it will start fine, but other times nothing. I got out last time and riggled the battery terminals and it started when i couldnt get it going, so i ended up changing the battery terminal leads (also cleaned them to make sure there was contact) This hasnt helped the problem. It only happens when i havent dirven the car for a while (like 12 hours or so). After i get it started i can turn it off and start it again no problems at all. Seems like the problem only occurs when the car is cold or not started for a while. Not sure what to look at. The battery/leads/coils/starter motor/key. It confusing the hell out of me. I tried using a different key which worked but then started having the same problem as well. (they could both be on their way out but not to sure dont want to go buy a new one for no reason). Hoping someone from here can help me please!!!! does anyone know how to fix this/ is it a common problem. My battery has a strength signal whihc is green so i think its ok but dont know??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Thanks alot!!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
check if the red led above the mode switch is flashing or not does the remote work from a good distance say 10m could be flat battery in remote
try turning key until dash lights up count to ten then turn off then try to start normally may be losing fuel pressure

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
Hey i too have got the same problem some times it will start right away then other mornings it will not i found if i push the car while it is in park ,so rock the car )then turn the key it will start.I have had this problem for 9-10 months now ,and just put up with it ..Maybe there is something in the auto like when you cant start it in park but then put it in N then it starts ,something like that maybe,,any help would be good ..:thumbsup:

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
It could be anything, does the car have any engine codes, there a few that prevent the vehicle from starting, it could be the Battery, check the battery for collapsed cells, after this test you vehicles starter motor, if not then move on the ECU and BCM to check you security system. after this i would contact an Auto Electrician for further diagnostics.

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
Ok have a new battery ,and new conecters to the batttery have put in a new ecu which had to get auto elec to pear it up and i still have this problem

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Get a decent battery, and while you're at it, get your alternator checked. The regulator could be stuffed.

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
Get a decent battery, and while you're at it, get your alternator checked. The regulator could be stuffed.

Get a life cant you read the last tread, alternator is fine hads been tested :bang:

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
check inhibitor switch could be faulty & check wiring/plugs to tranny if it only happens when cold its possible you have a corroded connection in the starting circuit. mostly this happens at the g/box connector or inhibitor switch. happens more in temperate climates like hehre in darwin but can happen everywhere

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Get a life cant you read the last tread, alternator is fine hads been tested :bang:

You never mentioned you had your alternator tested. All the signs you mentioned point to a faulty alternator and a stuffed battery, flat battery after running, problems starting etc.

And I doubt you know what an alternator is judging by your comment above. You could at least said that your alternator was tested before being all stroppy about it.

vxs3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Commodore S-Pack 5spd
hey again,
problem seems to be getting worse, was driving last night and my headlights started flickering (like they were about to turn off) this happeneded especailly when i turned on my highbeams, any ideas?? im guessing it relates to other problems im having
Got it booked into an auto electrician just wondering if anyone cna save me some time???????? or what im looking at???
thanks again guys