Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with the manual gearboxes in the VE Commodores

Miss 12TAME

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
hey,

I have a ve manual sv6 and i keep having problems with the gears.. I have troubles getting it into 2nd gear (1st into 2nd and 3rd into 2nd). I've had it into holden on numerous times and they keep saying the computer says nothing is wrong and i keep telling them it doesn't happen all the time.. it happens randomly.. So I'm wondering if anyone else out there who has a ve manual is having the same problems?

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
hows an issue with the manual box gears supposed to show up on the computer? just curious....

Miss 12TAME

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
i know right.. they keep telling me they can't fault the problem cos the computer says its fine

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I realise mine is a different box (T56 vs the Aisin unit in the V6s) but my gearbox(es) kept chewing synchros, giving me the symptoms you're talking about. My understanding is that dealerships do not open up the gearboxes when there is an issue under warranty, they send it back and fit you with a new one (takes about a week normally to get the box in - I'm on my 5th and this one has lasted me longer than the others, so fingers crossed). A fault like that won't show up on the tech 2 - my suggestion is to take to another dealership and see if they will (a) give you the time of day and (b) see if they can replicate the issue. Also, take a tech, or preferably the foreman, for a drive and show them what's happening. But it would be a good idea to try and suss out exactly what situations cause the box to stick (ie does it happen cold, at running temp, stop-start driving, harder acceleration, etc). That will give you your best chance at being able to replicate the issue for the service team. Also, if you need a decent stretch of road for the issue to raise it's head, do a bit of research and find the appropriate road near the dealership BEFORE taking the car in. The more assertive (not aggressive) that you come across, the more likely they are to take notice.

Did the dealership you've been taking it to even drive it or just plug the tech 2 in? I understand that they will have difficulty diagnosing anything if they can't replicate the issue, but locking out of gears on the V8 models is quite common - haven't heard so many issues happening with the Aisin box though.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
LOL @ Computer not having any codes. That right there is a good reason to take it to another dealer.

Is it under warranty? How many kilometers has it done?

hardcore90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Manual
How many km's has your car done. I had a similar issue with mine for the first 1000km. I'm now at 1700km and it feels like it is getting better. Could possibly be due to me getting used to driving a manual again.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
I'd recomend sticking a tube of PTFE treatment in it. ( NULON geabox, diff and transmission treatment. I bet it would make a huge difference
Only cost you 16 bucks for a 125ml tube. or around 25 bucks for a 250ml tube

Johnjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I think it's just the way it's made, Mine is like that, if your at the right speed it goes into second alot easier, same as when your changing back down. It's worse trying to stick it into first if your going too fast, like if it's a safety feature for people accidentally putting it into first at high speeds.

For example if I'm 50 meters from my driveway and in 3rd I just put the clutch in but it's near impossible to put into first until you get down to a low speed. Even though I'm not going to let the clutch out and rev the crap out of it

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
REALLY, PTFE treatment. Try it.
If you ignore this then I'l keep reminding you till you do.:)
I'm curious to see the Synchro's from one.

I've just rebuilt the T5 for my Auto to manual conversion and the T5 uses brass Synchro's only on the tapered cone side instead of them being brass they have the fibre layer jike you would find on a wet clutch, auto trans.
Gm service manual makes it clear to use ATF fluid and not geabox oil but it must have the PTFE / then called LUBRIZOL additive.
I haven't seen inside the T56 but I cant imagine they would "re-invent the wheel"
Even if they are now using a gear oil then still I would put the treatment in.
I added the treatment and fluid to the T5 before putting it in the car As I have a spare yolk to plug the tail shaft seal.
Before the treatment it was quite sticky and hard to change. I added the treatment and used a drill to turn the gearbox shaft and take it through the gears for a good mix in time and could now change without the force it took
prior. + reverse became acheivable at first try.
(this was without the gear stick bolted to it) with bench testing.
All and any gear tooth noise and bearing noise completely vanish.
(not that the bearings were bad, they just got even better.)

Johnjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Where do you get it from? I'll try it. Something else I can stuff around with on the car lol