Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Production where abouts of the v8 engine?

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Upon buying my new car recently i asked many questions and one was were the V8 engine in the VE was made, some said the US as its GM obviously but one dealer mentioned it was built in Mexico for GM.

Anyone know for sure? as im quite interested to know, thanks

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Yeah I quite often hear "andalay-andalay-yipha-yipha" as they drive by....I always just thought that's how the V8s sounded. You learn something new everyday :)

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I just recently looked at some online specs and it said Mexico as well.

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
I dont mind the V8 being built south of the California border in van Tequila land but I'd never buy a Fender guitar or bass from that side of the fence.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
According to holden the V8 engine is sourced from Nth America.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
El Mexico. Holden buys the motors from GM Powertrain. There is no such thing as a "chev" engine as such any more although they are designed largely in North America.

Reaper

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
El Mexico. Holden buys the motors from GM Powertrain. There is no such thing as a "chev" engine as such any more although they are designed largely in North America.

Reaper

I've had a lot of arguments about this. No-one will believe me that GMH get engines from the same place chev does, not off chev themselves...

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Yeah I quite often hear "andalay-andalay-yipha-yipha" as they drive by....I always just thought that's how the V8s sounded. You learn something new everyday :)

Lol made me laugh:) So Mexico it is it sounds, would be good if OZ could develop our own V8 engine just like they use to and that would go hand in hand with the work they are doing building the V6 atm

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I've had a lot of arguments about this. No-one will believe me that GMH get engines from the same place chev does, not off chev themselves...

Then they are wrong. Chevrolet don't make engines any more. Of course they have a lot of say and input into product planning, design and development but the motors as such have been a global GM product for many years now.

Reaper