Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Products aren't what they used to be these days!!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
solvol soap I can`t get my hands clean like I used to

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah obviously you dont expect higher quality comparing lower brands to higher brands, but for those of us who just want a cheaper solution for something not too important its easier to choose the cheaper package. Also like alot of people, i love having the newest thing, but i cant justify or afford buying a new model of something a couple of times a year, but still want to be happy with what ive got for a decent amount of time.

What i mainly meant of this thread is that, unless you pay top dollar, and even then, i would highly doubt there would be many products with the lasting quality of what they used to make, things your parents still have working etc. and even lots of those products still going after 20+ years wouldnt have been the absolute top of the line thing.

But hey, at least if this stereo i have is phucked, i can have the fun of buying and setting up something bigger and better which we all love ;)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I love Yamaha.
my first CD player was a Yamaha. Excellent quality & features in it's day (still some features that you don't see on the modern equivalents). Nearly 20 years later, it's still going strong and even the front panel looks like new. I bought a Yamaha amp/receiver back in 2000 and used it up until earlier this year when I upgraded to a new model Yamaha (huge transformer, the unit weighs 18kg!!) Never missed a beat, once again front panel looks like it did when it was new. Only problem I had with it was the remote failing - Yamaha remotes aren't great, but I can live with that

So yeah, I'd have no hesitation in buying Yamaha audio equipment

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Fisher & Paykell chest freezer... 1985... $50(second hand)... never missed a beat and still going strong.

Phillips 370L fridge/freezer... 1990... $200(Second hand again...) a bit of ice in the freezer and needs a clean every 4-6months... still going stong.

2009 Kelvinator upside down fridge/freezer... $1190... broken down 6 times and is a fracken lemon... biggest piece of shite I have ever seen. :upyours:

120Y Dato for $50... never stops... $500,000 Ferrari... &
car_1701785c.jpg

In the end - You can pay big $$$$ or small and still get a lemon, you just never know nowdays.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
My point exactly about thew fridges and that yamaha amp!
Ah well, guess the only thing you can do is try and convince yourself to buy pricey/highest quality ****. better in the long run

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I have a 30 something year old Pentax K 1000 Fully Manual SLR with light meter. Takes brilliant photos.

Quality in home audio is Bose, Technics, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Plinius for Amps, DynAudio & Bowers-Wilkins
for speakers.

Best way to shop is set a budget and buy the best that you can afford in that budget.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
yeah a mate of mine just bought a onkyo system, sounds fantastic.
yamaha and denon or also quality brands.

The bose ipod docks sound good for what they are, but ive never really heard their home theatre solutions.
expensive as anything though, those docks

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
solvol soap I can`t get my hands clean like I used to

+1 lol, we stopped using it as work, now we've got this stuff that's almost caustic as a replacement

My Blundstone elastic side boots used to be the best work boots I ever had- lasted 2 years getting thrashed every week day and most weekends, I bought a new pair about 3 months ago and the sides have already come apart. That's since the factory left australia though..

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
A few examples of issues with electronics that i've had:

Toshiba A100 laptop dies, motherboard cooked... 11 months 3 weeks into 12 month warranty, PHEW.

1 month old Sony Muteki home theatre dies, repaired under warranty, on the way back home with the repaired goods they are damaged in transit in my boot..... Forked out $600 for further repairs. Still holding good *fingers crossed*