Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Products aren't what they used to be these days!!

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
It really annoys me how the quality of alot of things, electronics being one, have gone seriously downhill over time.

An example is my home theatre that i bought probably 6 months ago, which was working fine yesterday, just broke down today out of the blue :rant:

What other similar experiences have people have with products breaking down in no time??

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
None, buy quality components and never have issues.

Quality costs money. Sadly people think LG, Samsung, Sony etc are all quality.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
What constitutes quality then Minux?

Samsung are quality for the money you pay, not saying they're the greatest thing around, but they're certainly not a rip off. My 5yr old LCD telle is still going strong.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
40 dollar camera lasts not even a year, 40000 dollar camera lasts forever

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
why would you want a 40,000 camera ?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
why would you want a 40,000 camera ?

Medium format hasselblaad etc are 45k plus. Reason being is larger images for printing. You own a VS you would of paid money for it, why would you pay anything for a VS?

Same argument.

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
Because their hectic? But I think my relatively new ps3 is getting a bit dodgy, which is sad because it only started after one of their updates. And sometimes cheap **** lasts much longer than the expensive stuff, $100 hammer drill at work with heavy use, and no one can break it but that is Australian made, reasonably cheap TV in my lounge room is still going strong as well.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the problem is, we all expect the cheapest prices.
Manufacturers have to resort to cheaper components, and lower quality control in order to meet those expectations. And let's face it, technology is CHEAP these days, something has got to give.

I remember when I bought my old 51cm CRT Panasonic TV about 15 years ago. I paid nearly $600 back then, which is probably equivalent to at least double that figure in todays money.
Last week, I finally upgraded to a 100hz HD 106cm LED/LCD. After some wheeling & dealing, I paid just over $1400 for it.

Of course my LCD picture quality is amazing as are it's features. And it makes the old 51cm screen look insignificant. But my 15 year old CRT is still running perfect, even after literally thousands of hours of running time. The only thing I've had to do is replace the batteries in the remote. I wonder if my LCD will still be running as trouble free in 15 years....

car parts are the same. The old German Bosch ignition coils & other electrical components used to last forever. I notice my 2 failed Bosch ignition coils were manufactured in China....

V

-VY LoVeR-

I think phones these days are pretty crappy. I got an old Nokia brick that still works fine but my new Nokia X6 is crap this is my second one in a year and it keep breaking and turning itself off all the time.