Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Programing a new key......

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
I recently bought a new key head off ebay, does anybody know if holden will program it for me and for how much?? has anyone ever done this and had problems with programming a new key???

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
mr minit might be able to do it too.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
i bought a key off holden and they programmed it for $95. so if you supply the key remote it shouldnt be much at all

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
you cant do it yourself, it needs to be programmed by a dealer or some locksmiths have a tool to copy a working key

Rob

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
Holden quoted me $30 to "coded" the key, buy i had to have the blade cut first by a locksmith. This cost me $17.50.

I went to get this done at the locksmith and walked out to my car and remember someone mentioning a little trick where you press the unlock key of your working key and then place the newly cut key and unprogrammed head into the ignition and count to 5, then turn the key to ACC and count to 5 and then start the car. and my car started. i left it there for 30 seconds and removed the key.

My key now starts my car and unlocks and locks the doors. Not sure if this is a way you can get around paying for the head to be coded or if the lock smith that cut my blade actually coded the head when they said they wouldn't for $17.50. they charge $27.50 to code the head if you already have one.

All i know is that i have a key head and blade from ebay and got it cut for under $50 total.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I think we do this same thread every week. Its like ground hog day.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Again.lol

the key MUST be programmed to work, putting it in the ignition will not do it unless the locksmith did it, the tool they use will do most of the programming but it needs to be cycled in the lock to finalise
The Holden tool will completely program it.

Rob