Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Programing Ve Clusters?

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Hi guys i am looking to put in a HSV cluster into my VE SS. I purchased the cluster out of the correct year model and everything. Just wondering if anyone has worked out how to program them with the car yet?
If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Pretty sure you will have to take it to your Holden dealer but they may refuse as you don't own a HSV.......this is what iv'e heard have you gone to your local auto elecs???

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
you need to pop to someone who has a Tech 2 will have no problems reprogramming it. most mech the good ones who do holdens have a tech 2. i agree with the other member. holden wont do it as there strict on hsv stuff. some might do it. but many wont.
Welcome to ASR Audio & Electronics Home Page
he does the led work on cars does great work. might be able to do it. if u send the cluster up to him.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Craig, Sorry I havent been replying to your PMs.
While I was waiting for you to determine if you still wanted to go ahead with programming your clusters, I lent my EEPROM programmer out to another guy, and well I have never heard from him since.

I have been trying to email the guy to see what is going on, and its like he has disappeared off the face of the earth.
Bad news for me, it looks like I have lost $100 worth of EEPROM programmer gear.
(Which kind of $h!t$ me royally, as I was trying to do this guy a favour, and he has had the EEPROMer for over a month now.)
He hasnt provided the cluster dumps, so my assumption is he has been too lazy to even remove the cluster yet, or do anything that requires the EEPROMer.
What rubs me up the wrong way even more is that I PAID for registered post to send it up there, so as it wouldnt get lost in the mail.

So where does this leave me now ?
This may sound selfish, but I have had my HSV cluster programmed and fitted to my Calais now for a couple of months, so I dont NEED to buy another programmer.
There hasnt been a lot of interest in the project either, (No one has contributed to the information) and I was never interested in making any money from helping people program their own clusters, so to be ripped off like this make me feel very sour about the whole thing.
(Also keep in mind I spent many many hours deciphering the EEPROM locations and such, publishing any information that I found to anyone that asked).

I am still willing to give you a hand in programming your HSV cluster, but at this stage I am not going to buy another EEPROM programmer and SOP connector again. This project has already cost me enough $$$$.
If you want to go ahead, you will need to source the EEPROM programmer and SOP connector (I can tell you where to get these things from eBay).
Once you dump your SS and HSV cluster EEPROM, I can then manually edit the HEX files to give you a working file for the HSV cluster to upload and use in your car.

Otherwise, best bet is to contact someone cluey such as phreddy, he may be interested in purchasing an EEPROMer (Or may already have one), and he may be able to provide the service for you at a cost.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but guess thats the way things roll. :(

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
Dude that sucks. What a low life!

I hope you can get it sorted, is the guy a forum member here?

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
PM sent Zerone_V

Some people are really just not worth it from the sounds of it mate hopefully he gives it back.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
HI everyone, thanks for the positive posts.
The guy is a member here (But not an active one, he has around 4 posts).

He finally got back to me, basically he hasnt had time / too cared to take his cluster out / apart and read the EEPROM.
Instead he choose to ignore my emails for a month, until now.

Hopefully I get my gear back son, so as I can help out other people.
Cheers

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I couple of people have asked me If I can help them with modifying EEPROM dumps to get various clusters to work on their car

I am definitely willing to help anyone out with downloading / modifying and uploading EEPROMs for your Clusters.
(As long as people can obtain the dumps themselves, then I am willing to edit the dumps so as they work with a certain cluster / car).

EDIT : Unfortunately due to family and work commitments, I have very little time to play around with this stuff anymore.
My best suggestion is to either go it alone, and post up any problems you have, and hopefully others may be able to help,
or to send your cluster to Ultimate Wiring Conversions, and pay for it to be programmed.....

The cheapest EEPROM programmer that I have found is this
USB KEEProg programmer - 24xx, 93xx, 25xx, 95xx eeproms | eBay

Then you will need a clip, that clips on the EEPROM, and connects to the Programmer. (This clip means that you do not need to desolder the EEPROM from the board).

I have already began writing a doco on how to do this. Which you can see here
www.carmodder.com • Programming Cluster EEPROMs for the Holden VE Commodore

This doco needs to be updated, with information on how to use the clip (Currently it has info on how to desolder the EEPROM, and use an adapter, which is the more difficult way of doing things).

I have worked out all of the EEPROM locations that you need to copy across to get a cluster to work. (Basically VIN, and some Chassis Information).
I have also worked out what locations you need to copy to set the Odo reading on a new cluster, to your current odo reading.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to reply to this post, or P.M. me.

Cheers
Matti

Cheers
Matti

Last edited:

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Matti
Extremely interesting and its great of you to share this!

For VE HSV clusters I have been told that they cannot be reprogrammed once they have exceeded a certain number of KM on the Odo (100km I think but not sure). Do you know if your method is likely to work on 2nd hand VE HSV clusters?

Thanks