Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

programming a new remote

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
100% true you alone cannot do it. Holden can but you will pay dearly. If you have a working remote, most locksmiths and Mr Minit can supply and code for about $100.

bradmoffatt1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Toyota Lexcen
i rang a locksmith and he said he cant reprogram a second hand remote as each remote can only work on one car and thats it ill have to buy a new remote he said

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You cannot change the code on the remote. Once its programmed to a car it cannot be changed.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
You've all been lied to lol, google search as its been years since I done it, but I used to lose my keys all the time, went to wreckers found lots of keys, simple as disconnecting battery reconnecting holing a dash button n lock car etc n it reprograms the remote, but as I say google it cos I ain't done it in 5 or more years

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You've all been lied to lol, google search as its been years since I done it, but I used to lose my keys all the time, went to wreckers found lots of keys, simple as disconnecting battery reconnecting holing a dash button n lock car etc n it reprograms the remote, but as I say google it cos I ain't done it in 5 or more years

So let me get this straight, your saying that anyone can break into a VS model commodore, rip out the ignition switch, hold an old remote to the key reader, and hold a couple of buttons in, and this will then program it to that car, allowing it to be started and driven? I seriously doubt holden would have even bothered to fit the security system if it were that easy to bypass. Even when your programming brand new keyfobs with the tech 1 scantool, its not a straight forward job, the tech 1 asks you to enter the security code belonging to that particular vehicle..Only holden have access to this security code, they use the vehicles VIN to access it online..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So let me get this straight, your saying that anyone can break into a VS model commodore, rip out the ignition switch, hold an old remote to the key reader, and hold a couple of buttons in, and this will then program it to that car, allowing it to be started and driven? I seriously doubt holden would have even bothered to fit the security system if it were that easy to bypass. Even when your programming brand new keyfobs with the tech 1 scantool, its not a straight forward job, the tech 1 asks you to enter the security code belonging to that particular vehicle..Only holden have access to this security code, they use the vehicles VIN to access it online..

Amd they no longer give it out to people, even paying people.

Just went into a dealership where I get on real good with the parts guy and only Service Manager and up have access to the BCM code, and they will only use it for job that they are doing, like BCM swaps and Key programming. Sucks to be us when we need that code to replace old gear and we can't even get it any more.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hmmm so i may have to buy a new one ? can i program a 3 button remote to open the boot on my vs?

Ive wondered about this too. I have a 3 button remote for my VS exec, I always though Id have to fit a HIGH or LUX level BCM to get the boot release feature, but funnily enough, when I plug in the tech 1 scantool, and go into the BCM key menu, and press the boot button on the remote, it shows up as "trunk" on the tech 1. I have a LOW series BCM, this BCM can obviously detect that the boot button is being pressed on the remote.When I first programmed this key, I really didnt think it would do anything when I pressed the boot button, but it can definitely detect that the boot button being pressed on the remote. Id like to know if the LOW BCM has the boot release wiring pin(s) in the wiring connector.