Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Programming New Key Head

M

mr_v8

Hi Guys,

Does one HAVE to take a new key head to Holden to program it so that it functions with your car, or can it be done without them and if so, how ?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well i think you can get away with taking it to a good mechanic who would have the computer thingy to do it, my dad has his key transponder replaced when he got his car [ the one he got was near on unusable ] the repair agent just plugged the key in, played with a handheld thing [ tech2 computer or somethign arent they? ] and that was it, four years later works a treat.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ive noticed before than some "mister minit" places have signs saying they cut and program keys for commodores up to the VT.
i wanna get a second key cut as a spare but i havent gotten around to it yet so i dont know how much it costs.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
sircruisealotVS said:
ive noticed before than some "mister minit" places have signs saying they cut and program keys for commodores up to the VT.
i wanna get a second key cut as a spare but i havent gotten around to it yet so i dont know how much it costs.
as wel as put the key in the ign lite the red's for 30seconds so the car can proggram the key (don't try and start the car)

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
"as wel as put the key in the ign lite the red's for 30seconds so the car can proggram the key (don't try and start the car)"

Can you clarify? I think I'm missing something.

Clacks

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Clacker said:
"as wel as put the key in the ign lite the red's for 30seconds so the car can proggram the key (don't try and start the car)"

Can you clarify? I think I'm missing something.

Clacks
they cant fully programe to your car unless you take your memcal with you!
they can only prep the key (format) so to speak

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
jsu answered this in another thread.. dejavu.

anyway.. i got mine cut for 90buks from a locksmith who had all parts to cut and put it together. you dont have to take it to holden to programme it.
you just unlock car with original, lock with copy.
start car to accesories with orig few times then use copy.
turn key over and turn agn on and off (dont start car only to accesories)

do this a few times and key should learn :)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Very skeptical about people who say the key can learn by doing this or that. I have never seen a method that actually works out of the many that people have suggested, just like dlzn. I have another key from another car and I will try the idea that dlzn put forward and i could bet a decent amount that its not going to work.

M

mr_v8

holden want $115 and 15 minutes... they reckon thats for the key, remote head and programming....

there is some guy on eBay (sydney) who reckons he will do the above for $79, you just need to take the key/car to him...

pity I am in Melbourne :(

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
dlzn said:
jsu answered this in another thread.. dejavu.

anyway.. i got mine cut for 90buks from a locksmith who had all parts to cut and put it together. you dont have to take it to holden to programme it.
you just unlock car with original, lock with copy.
start car to accesories with orig few times then use copy.
turn key over and turn agn on and off (dont start car only to accesories)

do this a few times and key should learn :)

The device locksmoths have only partially programs the key & they need a working key or the BCM security pin, when you use it in the car the programming finalises.

a new blank key wont "learn" anything by doing this.

taking your memcal will get you nowhere either.

to clarify...
some locksmiths can copy a working remote that will finalise when used in the car, or they can use the BCM security pin.
a dealer can fully program a new key either with a working one or with the pin number.
a key can be programmed using the apprpriate software & an interface cable with a PC.
These are the ONLY ways to do it.

Rob