Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Programming New Key Head

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
My brain is hurting I was just sitting here thinking about my mate with no running commi cos he lost his keys and had his alarm activated when he did and his new key only unlocks the doors wont turn the alarm off.And our local holden shop dont have tech 2 so I was checking out efilive v4 loaded the gmhvs6 datastream.Then I went to edit vehicle datastream and found a macro titled ($0D) security access mode so I was reading earlier that a locksmith with the tech 2 pluged it in went to some setting on the tech 2 then pushed the remote buttons and it was done maybe you can do it with this security access mode there was also a macro titled modify memory and download and execute.What do you think doctor bob.It was bugging me so much I had to get back out of bed and post it or I wasnt gonna sleep if only it works ive got no max232 interface and my evaluation is about to end probably b4 I get one to try .My mate will be stoked if he gets the trusty old commi going again without having to trailer it a couple of hundred km's to the dealer hes thinking of forking out hundreds for a tech2 just to get it going.

also found this site with a tech2 laptop interface and software for $149 AUD
www.mydaddyfixes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=39

Is this the same as the handheld tech2 just using a laptop instead or just maybe a max232 circuit in a flash box with someone elses software not holdens actual tech 2 software sounds to cheap to me to be the proper tech2 software since that price is far less than a handheld tech2.

Sorry if my post is hard to understand and not well punctuated i have maxed out my brains on board and virtual memory time to reboot back to bed.
fingers crossed.:thumbsup:

LJS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I got a spare cut a few weeks after I bought my 97 vs, a dealer we know is a family friend so he gave me the plastic part as he heaps lying around

The dealers have heaps of the bits a lot of us need lying around, because to replace the cheap plastic and rubber bits that wear out before the electronics ever will we are forced to buy a whole new head.

I've got one head with a broken case where the key ring loops onto it (Thanks Dad!), and another with perished rubber over the activating switches. Both units work fine.

As there's no programming involved anyone who has the ability to use a screwdriver knows that to get one good unit I've taken the rubber out of the one with the broken case and put it into the good case. I've still got a spare that will work if I get myself into trouble.

It's incredulous that Holden want $130+ (each) AND the car in the workshop as the only way I can repair these units is to replace them. Mr. Minit? Around $90 for the same is not really a great consolation.

Can you imagine wanting to replace the cover or keypad on your mobile phone and getting told that you have to toss your perfectly good phone and buy a new one if you want to do that?

I'm bringing it to the attention of the NSW govt Fair Trading office next time I'm near it. I don't expect much to change, but if more people were to report crap like this then maybe something might happen about it. At least it's trying to do something about it instead of just moaning and paying the bastards.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Can you imagine wanting to replace the cover or keypad on your mobile phone and getting told that you have to toss your perfectly good phone and buy a new one if you want to do that?

Actually that does happen - try and get a new keypad and you will be told its cheaper to get at new phone an/or the repair will be dearer than a new one and will take 6 weeks.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
done some more searching and the above tech2 interface and software is able to program the car for new keys.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the interface listed uses the wrong comms protocol to work with a commodore, you would need one like described in the threads about datalogging etc, the software is another story, i dont know of anyone offering software to do this.

Rob

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet as rob worth a try.If someone had a tech2 could they hook it up piggybacked with a datalogger and see what commands the tech2 sends to the ecu maybe and we could send the command with the efilive software once we knew what to send.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
i should write something to do this.lol it would probably sell well

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
What you waiting for rob key programming software only no datalogging.The worst thing would be car theives buying it.Just sell it to one jc member in every major area so we could help the cause when people do have problems id be keen to help jc members over here in nz if i had the stuff ,allready datalogging peoples vn-vps for free.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Is there a DIY way to make the cable and get the software to program the keys if you have all the numbers?
I paid Holden some time back for a printout of all the security numbers and would like to future proof myself to maintain the vehicle.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The software is mega dollars and this is why Locksmiths charge so much. "Alchins" here in Adelaide were the first Locksmith that were accredited and able to cut Holden Keys in South Australia many years ago, but Holden won't hand anything over unless there's big money in the transaction.