Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project 12s Turbo VT V6

turbo_will

Reaction score
Members Ride
boosted vt v6
Hi, thought id start a project thread about my VT V6 turbo project. The car is just a base model, auto, 250K kms and in rather average condition but hey it was cheap and a perfect car to use for an R&D mule. Not planning on going overboard spending big coin on brand name parts this will all be all about keeping it cost effective. Plans are simple really, develop turbo kit to the point of a 12.99 or better.

Motor and trans will stay stock for a start. Rear main seal leaks so that will need doing first. Plans will be to push standard parts to find the limits. I know on my ef falcon we can run max line pressure in the trans by removing s3/s4 solonoids, the vt being an elec controlled box might be able to do similar so it keeps the clutch packs in one piece.

Turbo hardware will be carried over from our falcon kits (we do ea-bf turbo kits) and have trapped 126mph 1/4s 300rwkw+ so it shouldn't be raising a sweat in the VT shooting for 12s as a start with ecu probably being the limiting factor. Turbo is positioned roughly like this.

Trying a simple fabricated passenger manifold with stock drivers casty crossing over to join passanger side.

A/C actually works in this car so its staying although ditching it would make life so much easier with added room. Not sure on exhaust probably make up a cheap 3" single muffler system. Ill be sticking with the stock ecu and playing around with other means of getting desired result such as fuel pressures, extra injectors, water injection and maybe e85 at a later date. Ive read on here its possible to use the l67 tune/injectors which may be a good option as no doubt it would run less timing on boost and we all know its too much timing that kills ring lands and melts holes in pistons. Been there haha. Anyway keen to get cracking and race the tyres off this thing. Still have a crap load to do but ill keep updated on how this all goes, should be fun, im super excited to have a new car to mess around with and learn new things on.

So all you guys with turbo l36 ecotecs I have a few questions I couldn't find answers for when searching. When do the stock valve springs generally start floating, how far are guys pushing the stock N/A l36s bottom ends? Also does ecu have a LHM if stall speed is exceeded (for example boost pushing stall out to say 3000rpm and ecu throws it in 3rd gear as it thinks its slipping) or a speed cut?

Cheers Guys

turbo_will

Reaction score
Members Ride
boosted vt v6
Made up a dump pipe today in 3inch and got the w/gate mounted were it will work for screamer and plumb back. I also started messing around with cold side cooler piping ended with this. Im going to try going over the coil pack with a 90degree silicone bend off throttle body and see how that turns out, might look neater and be shorter.

Also forgot to post timed increments for this car when it was 100% standard. 0-100 8.39sec, 1/4 15.79@89mph, 90-140kph 7.78sec and 140-150 took 2.89 just for a laugh. Definitely needs more power!

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Watching this thread with great anticipation as I'm considering the same route.

turbo_will

Reaction score
Members Ride
boosted vt v6
Haha cheers, love that turbo intake through the headlight

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem

the local

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT 50th anniversary
keep up the good work... im considering boost... dose vader talks to me in my sleep

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
Good work, car was very quick for a stocky.

turbo_will

Reaction score
Members Ride
boosted vt v6
It was decent for a stocky used to get a bit of wheel spin taking off from a standstill. Maybe its been thrashed so much its all loosened up P Plater owned it before me.

Na havnt considered ditching the maf, even if its maxed I was just going to tune the last row keep it simple not looking at big boost or power to start with. Wasn't aware you could program the egr for map cheers for that info might look into it later down the track.

Downloaded the new version of tunerpro which sorted my matching bin/def problem. Looking at the standard vt v6 series 1 tune the timing is prity damn low 16 degrees max under full load. Up to another 8 can be pulled with high intake temps. If it knocks and changes to the low octane timing settings max timing is 12 degrees. Maybe these motors don't need timing it just seems super low to me.

RPM TIMING
2000 10.55
2200 12.66
2400 13.71
2800 12.66
3200 12.66
3600 11.60
4000 10.55
4400 10.55
4800 12.66
5200 13.71
5600 15.82
6000 15.82

Got the manifold and dump pipe welded today that is all, too hot haha.