Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Cool banana :P

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
O.k. I know I sound stupid, but is there any benifit to running an intercooler on a NA engine to lower the intake temps?, or does the air flow depend on the turbo blowering the air through it?

Foamy, what you say all makes sense to me, will be keeping an eye on this

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Nitrous is illegal in street setups - at least in Qld. As far as I know, theres no legal issue with oxy.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm investigating this whole Ford manifold onto Holden engine tech, could kill a few birds with half a stone. Since they are narrower (don't know how much yet) and that gives room for spacers. But stainless steel valley oil cover, I might be starting that tomorrow.

P.S. Tsunamix the toll truck just left

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just chuck dry ice in the air box....

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Except dry ice devolves into CO2 gas, which is a filler in combustion, not used, so it just takes up space that oxygen or fuel could be using.

Hey Foamy - Any chance you could slam me the bag number so I can trace it ? It's supposed to be overnight but didn't arrive.

Cheers

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
seen a guy advertising oil splash shields on ebay. can make em to suit what ever engine you want. has definitly been done before.

i still think you need to get the intake HPC coated. will reduce the temps even more with all the other suggested mods.

remote mounting the thermostat is definitly a interesting idea

Funnily enough I have one of them - nice and shinny - Bought it off a HRT mechanic who was experimenting with it but never quite made it on the car. Gimme a yell if you are interested.

Reaper

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You know how Oxygen from an oxy bottle is freezing cold as it comes out of the taps, I've often wondered if shooting Oxy dtraight into a manifold would give a 2 fold increase in power, indiretcly through intercooling and directly through a better / hotter burn because of higher o2 content.....

lets think about this for a moment, when using N20, your injecting a substance that is only 33% oxygen in a liquid form as well as all the extra fuel that is needed to control the combustion process and stop things from melting because with N2O you have already have greatly increased combustion pressures and heat. now triple that effect with pure O2. i'd imagine that engine life under those circumstances would calculated in seconds......

David Vizard explains it very well in one of his engine books.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
do you not want to make a manifold from scratch? something with less material in it?

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I see your point imoortality.

I was thinking introducing a little O2, maybe 10cfm, usingthe expansion principle to cool the charge, and increasing oxy content of the mix from 18% to 25% or thereabouts.

N2O degenerates (when catalysed) at about 1300 Deg Celsius into nitrogen and oxygen, so it actually provides oxygen late in the combustion cycle. I am wondering about smaller amounts of oxygen earlier to increase flame front propagation, as well as intercooling.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If this was a feasible option, do you think you are the first person to think of it? I'm not being sarcastic, but if it worked, wouldn't O2 be used instead of N2O?