Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Cool banana :P

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Liquid Oxy is available you know - LOX. Check BOC gases website. Oxygen | BOC Gases.

the question of heat and melting is relevant only if the percentage of oxygen would be the same as the percentage of O2 generated by NOS breakdown.

Conceivably, you could even use hybrid medical gases, like Oxygen and something denser like Argon, Krypton or heavier, as they will take up less physical space in your inlet tract.

Not saying it doesn't have problems, but advances in cryogenics have made it possible to supply LOX.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
But at what cost...

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
See this is a thought experiment, not really worried about costs. learning about how it works and having holes poked in ideas is what challenges people to come up with new ones :)

Like turning your manifold into a heat sink.

By the way - removing the rear rubber from the bonnet to allow warmer air to be pushed out. Does it really have any noticeable effect in colling the engine bay ?

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
you know, I keep thinking about this.

With the advent of SIDI, fuel isn't added until the compression cycle, and only directly into the combustion chamber. This reduces the chance of pre ignition, should the inlet gasses be oxygen rich.

SIDI would also reduce the chances of pre ignition further, as after the exhaust cycle there is very close to zero unburnt fuels remaining in the cylinder to support pre-combustion.

What would happen if we controlled the O2 content by directly injecting LOX into the combustion chamber after the fuel was injected SIDI style ? I think there would be limited inter cooling effect so that big bonus might dissappear.

Intercooling by lox injection in the head might work. Directlly port inject LOX as close to the start of the compression stroke as possible, to limit cold O2 going out into a hot exhaust system. Flame front propagation would be much faster, so you could retard the timing quite a bit - in fact it would be necessary. Pre ignition could be dealt with if the incoming charge was cool enough, and the LOX injection was late enough.

Still it's an awful lot of engineering to achieve a similair result to NOS.

I stil think that small amounts of oxy would be interesting. Increase percentage in the atmopsphere by a couple of percent, retard the timing and you should be ok, in a port injected or SIDI engine.

The problems of O2 injection really only become insurmountable (at least to my mind) when you have very rich burns, over advanced allowing the flame front to actually propagate past the valves, or pre ignite mid compression stroke.

Oxy doesn't cause combustion, it's required to support it. More oxy will make all fuels burn faster and more completley. Just have to match the burn characteristics to the engine.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
haha yeah, All I want to have is thin (normal gasket thickness) thermal gaskets and a oil sheild and that's that. Then maybe Mace can sell them as a kit if they work well. I wanted to make the oil sheild from stainless but can't seem to get hold of any out here in the sticks too easily so I'm going to use aluminium as the splash sheild

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hey foam, if you want to reduce heat transfer from the intake manifold bolts. why not use slightly longer bolts and use washers made from a insulative material. if your real concerned about it you could also enlarge the holes through the manifold face so the bolt shank doesn't trasfer heat that way or you could ever fit a sleave over the bolt shank to stop heat transfer

MACE

Reaction score
haha yeah, All I want to have is thin (normal gasket thickness) thermal gaskets and a oil sheild and that's that. Then maybe Mace can sell them as a kit if they work well. I wanted to make the oil sheild from stainless but can't seem to get hold of any out here in the sticks too easily so I'm going to use aluminium as the splash sheild

Who knows! I actually have some old designs I did to make a new 5L manifold so anything is possible I guess ;)

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
once that kit is ready you have yourself a buyer!!!!!! +1 for project cool banana's!!!

Last edited: