Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Que'y

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I like where this is going :) The only things that ushered me away from ever doing an LS1 conversion is the cost of replacement parts:

1) $150 worth of spark plugs
2) $600 worth of coil packs
3) $120 worth of oil per change
4) OMG WIRING

But otherwise it's true, the pros outweigh the cons if you're willing to spend the time getting it running right.

Now clear all that **** off the back of your tonner and get to work :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
:rofl2:

I started with a V6, everyone's like get a 5L, I wanted to rebuild the 5L, everyone's like get an LS1, now I've got an LS1 you bring up SBC's? Then BBC's. Then a 'Big Paw'

Will this madness ever end???!!! :p

I can see the benefits of the LS1, no doubt they're a good engine. However, i like to "try" and do different things and nearly every car i see now has an LS1, it just gets a bit boring that's all. In fact, i see the LS1 as todays EFI 5 litre conversion of 5-6 years ago, they used to be everywhere but now the LS1 has taken over. Now, i actually find it refreshing to see an EFI 5 litre in an early girl over the sea of LS1's.

However, like i've said before, my next car will have a carby SBC (i've actually stumbled across an LH sedan which will be my next project, but that's off topic).

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
I like where this is going :) The only things that ushered me away from ever doing an LS1 conversion is the cost of replacement parts:

1) $150 worth of spark plugs
2) $600 worth of coil packs
3) $120 worth of oil per change
4) OMG WIRING

But otherwise it's true, the pros outweigh the cons if you're willing to spend the time getting it running right.

Bahaha, I hear you, everything's more expensive, even engine mounts! For a 5L you can get mounts for next to nothing!

Are you supposed to use full synthetic oil in these alloy pigs? :/ Crap... lol.

I'm kind of looking forward to doing the wiring side of things, don't mind it, a bit time consuming, but if you take your time it can make an engine bay - not seeing any/many wires wondering how its running/wired up. Especially since I have stumbled across a fairly detailed post on another forum, basically showing step by step how to modify a loom, just need the VZ's engine/computer wiring diagram, with numbered pinouts, and should be good as gold!

Now clear all that **** off the back of your tonner and get to work :p

Sir yes Sir! :rofl2:

I can see the benefits of the LS1, no doubt they're a good engine. However, i like to "try" and do different things and nearly every car i see now has an LS1, it just gets a bit boring that's all. In fact, i see the LS1 as todays EFI 5 litre conversion of 5-6 years ago, they used to be everywhere but now the LS1 has taken over. Now, i actually find it refreshing to see an EFI 5 litre in an early girl over the sea of LS1's.

However, like i've said before, my next car will have a carby SBC (i've actually stumbled across an LH sedan which will be my next project, but that's off topic).

Yeah I understand what you're saying completely, I was/used to be like that. But for a little while I've been trying to "walk in the many's footsteps."

Apparently its easier not to "re-design the wheel."

Although all I have is headaches and a lack of solid info, so looks like I'll be pioneering this build - with my apparent lack of "finding stuff on the interwebs" skills... Wasting time, and probably money along the way. :/

You wouldn't happen to know where a couple of detailed build ups of early Holdens with LSx's in them are, would you? Can't seem to find much around. And if I do its all contradicting info.
It seems 5-6 years ago they were the rage, and everybody was doing it. But now alot of them either didn't get finished, or their posts didn't get updated and the owners have perished and disapeared..!

Oh, and off topic is good, keeps the motarvation high hearing about other projects! :)

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Ahhk, sweet as. First off looking at engine mounts, looking at tough mounts HQ-LS1, (the link in the first post). And a Sump that fits with (hopefully?) no modifications.

Been reading about sumps all day, and most of yesterday :/ Here's what I've come up with...

This looks like it should fit pretty well what I need. But can't find much info on it,

ally ls1 sump | OldHolden.com

Or this, but on LS1 tech the american boys don't really like it,

Holley 302-1 - Holley GM LS Retrofit Engine Oil Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

One style sump looks like it hangs down way too low - needs 2 / 2.5" cut out of the rear hump. Hangs down below the cross member.

One needs a little trimmed out from the rear side of the hump to clear the cross member.

There's this really 'in depth' thread on LS1 Tech about the sumps, but not knowing what the HQ-WB transfers across into the American market of cars. Pretty sure I've read there's a firebird, or camaro that the front suspension/crossmember is basically the same; But can't find it again...

LSX oil pans - LS1TECH

gambler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS + HZ Kingswood
Very keen to see this get put together. Currently in the process of doing an efi 5l into a hz kingswood. Have the same issue that you do with engines, got a 202 in it now, bought a 308, then got the efi 5l, but see things like this with the later ls engines and all their power and its hard to follow through. good luck with the swap, hope you take it all the way through.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey awesome project man, this thing will be a weapon, and have all the mod cons of a new engine. Can't wait to see this build.