Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Que'y

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
nice project man, HQ tonners are my favourite model of holden ever. I am hopefully going to get my self a project tonner next year. definatly gonna keep watching this thread. keep up the good work

Cheers for the kind words mate, they're definately my favourite shape Holden. The single headlight front too! Although I always had a soft spot for the Caprice front end...
Post up your thread when you get your project aswell, always good to see more early girls getting the love they deserve!

Very keen to see this get put together. Currently in the process of doing an efi 5l into a hz kingswood. Have the same issue that you do with engines, got a 202 in it now, bought a 308, then got the efi 5l, but see things like this with the later ls engines and all their power and its hard to follow through. good luck with the swap, hope you take it all the way through.

Same mate, going nuts with the LS1 just sitting there! :s
Aww nice! I was seriously considering the 5L conversion for this, but then the Ls1 popped up at the right time and price.

This one will definately be getting finished!! Can't wait to get it on the road, probably end up keeping it white for the mean time, then getting it on the road while trying to pick a colour. Unless I decide on a colour in between now and when its almost ready for rego... Really the only thing that was holding up the VH was a lack of money, now its a lack of time... :/ lol

Hey awesome project man, this thing will be a weapon, and have all the mod cons of a new engine. Can't wait to see this build.

Cheers sweefu, should be mint as! Going to (try) keep most of the luxuries of a newer car, power steering will be staying, the Ute's already power steering so that's a plus!

Unfortunately they have forecast rain for the weekend, all weekend... Lets hope the ####ers are wrong! I can't wait to get into it!!

no, i have to admit i have not. just passing on stuff i have heard

:hiding:

:rofl2:

Might give 'em a go anyway, they're the first thing I need, and I don't have my welder working at the moment to make some up...

Plan is = Get the mounts, then I can measure for the sump, then look at extractors, looking at Pacie's atm, not cheap though! Would 1 3/4" primaries and 3" outlets be the right size for me? Think they're the only ones available anyway? :p Tuned length also :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-H...ccessories&hash=item20ba4bea85#ht_3760wt_1139

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
buying my 327 will silence the masses :p

No it wouldn't, it's missing 23 cubes...:p

Not going to happen!!

PA010887.jpg

Yesterday afternoon's effort. :D

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Forgot to reply Zeussy.

Anyway, like i said i have done an LS1 conversion into an HR, so i'll tell you what i can.

Engine mounts: I see you've brought tuff mounts, but i made my own engine mounts to fit the motor in the HR, that way i could put the motor exactly where i wanted it. It's not that hard really, just some 5mm plate a grinder and a welder.

Sump: We used the Castle Auto Electrics HQ steel sump (still required minor mods to go in the HR, which i carried out) as it was the only one available at the time. This was before Camaro sumps were readily available. It's heavy, but it does the job and it's pretty well constructed. I believe that Castle Autos now sell the alloy sumps. I think any rear well sump you buy to suit an American car will require minor mods to fit in an HQ.

Engine harness: We again used the Castle Auto Electrics patch harness and it works fine. It was fairly expensive, but it plugged straight in and worked.

Fuel System: The car already had an EFI fuel system in it which we retained. It consists of, 120 ltr drop tank, Mallory Comp pump 110 lift pump, 1 litre surge tank and a VL Turbo external pump. Then it has an aftermarket regulator on the firewall feeding standard injectors. This system has served really well, it's what i use on my ute aswell. However, now you can buy a weld ring that allows you to put the complete VT-VY fuel pump module in the original tank. I've used that set up once on an injected 5 litre HR and it also works well. All you have to do is cut a hole in the top of the tank, fit the weld ring and drop the Commodore module straight in, job done.

Extractors were custom made 1 3/4" units out through the guards, into a full custom system. It also runs a TH350 and a VN Borg Warner diff with 3.7 gears and an LSD which i cut, shortened and fitted.

This car was 1 of the very early LS1 conversions (first one into an HR that we knew of) so there are a lot more parts available now, but we had to make do with what we could get and what we couldn't get i made.

Not sure what else i can tell you, but if you think of anything else just ask.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh, champion Blown V6, all good info there.

Engine mounts in reality are pretty simple bits of gear, like you would've found when making them. I think I could 'reproduce' a set, but just the initial figuring out how high, how far back etc, would take me to long to get right/be happy with it.

At least with the mounts on, and the motor in the car, I'll have a known point to start measuring from to see if any of the cast alloy sumps will fit, (fingers crossed!). How did you find CAE? Or more importantly their parts - fit/quality? Between some of the stories about CRS and CAE, I'm a little reluctant to try them, but bad news always travels faster than good.

I think I'll have an attemp at the wiring, but if I pull it all apart and my head explodes, then I'll just buy a stand alone harness... :rofl2:

Will definately be referring to the fuel system list you have there, that's one side of it I have zero knowledge about, lol. I've got the standard VZ pump/pick up assembly so that might be an option as well.

In time I think the suspension setup will get 'looked at' so in turn will the diff. Maybe 4 link rear, with (hopefully) tube arms for the fronts. Something to help it handle a bit better. But for now the main priority is to get the motor in, running, and regoe'd.

There will be lots of other questions along the way I can assure you of that! :p

One that I can think of... How much of the interior wiring loom did you need? I might need more, considering this is FBW not cable. For now I've just stripped the entire dash/body loom out of it just incase.
Where did you put the computer? I'm thinking up under the dash, behind the glove box if there's enough room, and the fuses/relays either under, or in the glove box.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I've only had 1 drama with CAE personally (that was with my Torana at the start, long story). The LS1 stuff was fine, apart from the sump not quiet fitting the HR, but we knew that might be the case before we purchased it, but like i said, we really had no other choice. Having said that, all the extractors we have bought at work have never fitted without some sort of modification. There wiring looms are fantastic IMO. I've only really ever bought the looms, i tend to try and do everything else myself when doing an engine swap.

I'd stay with the leaf springs myself, for the simple fact that most 4 link aftermarket set ups are illegal for street use. The only style of 4 link that's legal is the OEM style found in HQ-HZ, Toranas, Commodores etc.

As for interior loom, we didn't use any of that in the HR, the CAE loom patches into the original body loom at the firewall plug so there is no need to use any of the Commodore loom. The HR is all standard inside (apart from autometer gauges) so the original loom needed to be retained, same as all the cars i've converted to EFI. ECU is in the glovebox, but you could mount it under the dash somewhere, provided you have the room.

Personally, i'd piss the fly by wire off, but that's just me.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
CAE, bit pricey but, looks like it wouldn't be too hard to sort out something that would work...

www.caenterprises.com.au - Products

About 3/4 down the page,

GENIII-WELD RING/MS EFI Fuel Pump Weld Ring. Holds in-tank fuel pump in place on tank. Suit Mild Steel Tank $132