Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Que'y

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Bullshit, have you ever used them Ari? My boss has a blown 454 in an HQ that's solid mounted and you wouldn't even know it was solid mounted if you weren't told. It's as smooth as any other HQ.

Nice project Zeussy, just a shame you're going with the "sheep" LS1 conversion. So sick of seeing LS1's in early girls.

We need pics though....:p

Yeah, tbh I'm not 100% sold on the idea, I think they look ugly, especially in an early engine bay - too many wires etc.. But its just too hard to argue with the pro's. Easy power, fuel economy, lots of parts available, etc.

I missed out on that supercharged 454, so had a rethink, and for $15,000 I could well and truely have this on the road, instead of just a motor.

:rofl2: Don't say I didn't warn you guys... This is soo fecking embarrassing... :embarrass:

P92408882.jpg

P92408892.jpg

agreed!

can the LS1 this thing needs some import lovin! :p

but seriously though, awesome build!

Have been looking a Supra's, and 200sx's / Silvia's prior to starting this build, but not 100% sure if I'd fit in one... :p

Cheers mate, should go alright in the end, while still being fairly reliable. A nice work ute!

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Yeah, tbh I'm not 100% sold on the idea, I think they look ugly, especially in an early engine bay - too many wires etc.. But its just too hard to argue with the pro's. Easy power, fuel economy, lots of parts available, etc.

I missed out on that supercharged 454, so had a rethink, and for $15,000 I could well and truely have this on the road, instead of just a motor.

:rofl2: Don't say I didn't warn you guys... This is soo fecking embarrassing... :embarrass:

P92408882.jpg

P92408892.jpg

Have been looking a Supra's, and 200sx's / Silvia's prior to starting this build, but not 100% sure if I'd fit in one... :p

Cheers mate, should go alright in the end, while still being fairly reliable. A nice work ute!

you got it all wrong man, 2JZ(no ****) into a HQ. *dons flame suit*

:D

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Direction I want this build to take - basically stock internals, cam, valve springs, tune, would like 300rwkw for now. But still want drive-ability and fuel economy.
Like the idea of it tame enough to be a nice cruiser, but still be wild enough to fill my needs!

You're not going to get 300rwkw out of an LS1 running stock internals, cams and what not. I'd be running valve springs (at bare minimum) and a VCM cam, which is going to be pretty thirsty on fuel if you want the power you're after.
Go 4-into-1's - tri-y's are a waste of time if you want to make power above 2000rpm. I have dyno graphs of two identical cammed L98's with tri y's and 4 into 1's and the latter rapes it in power delivery.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
You're not going to get 300rwkw out of an LS1 running stock internals, cams and what not. I'd be running valve springs (at bare minimum) and a VCM cam, which is going to be pretty thirsty on fuel if you want the power you're after.
Go 4-into-1's - tri-y's are a waste of time if you want to make power above 2000rpm. I have dyno graphs of two identical cammed L98's with tri y's and 4 into 1's and the latter rapes it in power delivery.

Hmm, I think you miss-interpreted what I was saying, or I should've added another full stop.

Direction I want this build to take - basically stock internals. Cam, valve springs, tune, would like 300rwkw for now. But still want drive-ability and fuel economy.
Like the idea of it tame enough to be a nice cruiser, but still be wild enough to fill my needs!

As in, stock bottom end, but changing the cam, and valve springs, then getting a tune.

Pretty thirsty on fuel? All the time, or only when you're up it? Lets face it who drives a car flat out, all the time? I know I wouldn't.
There's a tonne of guys 'claiming' to be getting 300rwkw out of LSx's with a simple cam/springs change, while retaining fuel economy and drive-ability.

Although, it looks like 4into1's are the go then, I want this thing to rev.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Ah righto, it's amazing how a full stop changes everything!
Driving around in Brisbane traffic for the weekend yielded 17.5L/100km for me in my cammed 6L, I didn't thrash it at all, just poked around as I'm living off $300 for the week. Usually people brag about their excellent 8L/100km on the highway after a tune and good fuel economy in town as well, but the computer lies an awful lot and I work out my averages the old fashioned way.
A mate of mine has a 23x/24x cam in his LS1, the most power they can get from it is 350hp at the treads and it's an absolute shitter to drive.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of cam only 6L's running around making 300+ rwkw but they're a higher compression motor with much better flowing heads.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah righto, it's amazing how a full stop changes everything!
Driving around in Brisbane traffic for the weekend yielded 17.5L/100km for me in my cammed 6L, I didn't thrash it at all, just poked around as I'm living off $300 for the week. Usually people brag about their excellent 8L/100km on the highway after a tune and good fuel economy in town as well, but the computer lies an awful lot and I work out my averages the old fashioned way.
A mate of mine has a 23x/24x cam in his LS1, the most power they can get from it is 350hp at the treads and it's an absolute shitter to drive.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of cam only 6L's running around making 300+ rwkw but they're a higher compression motor with much better flowing heads.

LOL, yeah, its happened a couple of times, I'm usually in a bit of a rush typing so I don't always proof read my posts...

Ahh well, main reason for going LSx conversion over old school carby is, drive-ability and fuel economy, if I can't have that and decent power then will have to sacrifice on the power.

At the end of the day, I don't care how much power it has, a cam and spring upgrade will most likely happen, mid-ish stally, beefed up box, 3.9-ish gears, and I'll have fun cruising around in it all day long ripping skids for the slutty gangas out the front of the local macca's.

Its probably the 6L's that have been claiming those figures, I don't pay that much attention to it all...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just put a Chev in it and be done with it. Easier, cheaper and easy to get power out of (not saying an LS1 isn't easy to get power out of, but getting power out of a Small block Chev is easy aswell).

:rofl2:

I started with a V6, everyone's like get a 5L, I wanted to rebuild the 5L, everyone's like get an LS1, now I've got an LS1 you bring up SBC's? Then BBC's. Then a 'Big Paw'

Will this madness ever end???!!! :p

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
:rofl2:

I started with a V6, everyone's like get a 5L, I wanted to rebuild the 5L, everyone's like get an LS1, now I've got an LS1 you bring up SBC's? Then BBC's. Then a 'Big Paw'

Will this madness ever end???!!! :p

speaking of V6s what happened to your VH?