Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Protection against sun UV rays? Help please?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi all,

Dad and I live in Saudi Arabia. Paint of the cars here takes a good beating from the sun, very high UV index in the summer. Fortunately, I've got a shade where I can keep my VZ Commodore parked in the whole day. Dad's not so fortunate, he's got no shade whatsoever at his workplace... his WM Statesman has to endure the blistering sun.

Is there anything my dad can do to protect his car's paint from the sun? He considered applying wax to the car and not buffing it off... since it leaves a protective layer on the surface? Makes sense? Car cover seems to be a bad idea, the heat builds up: inside becomes so hot its like an inferno, surface becomes so hot you can't touch it. Just a few days ago, his rear windscreen cracked to bits for no reason... we believe its from the constant expansion from the heat in the day and the contraction later at night.

I'm considering using at least a sealant, since I hear they do protect from UV light to some extent... however, these things are very difficult to find here. There's a small range of Meguiars and AutoGlym products, though I'm not sure if any of them are sealants, since each of them use their own "special" marketing terms instead...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
I really wouldn't leave wax on there. I'd either wax it, or take it to a top detailer and ask their advice. I'd also use Aerospace 303 or Meguiar's Ultimate Dash and Trim on the dash, as both have UV protectants in them. If you can live with a dash mat, that'll help too. Always use a sunvisor, tint the windows, and buy a car cover. That's all I can think off, hope it helps.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Tin snips might be the best person to ask here, or try the forum sponsor car care products

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I left a response in the other thread the OP started, so I'll CC it here...

Best bet for a car kept outside is a pro applied coating, whether it's nanolex, opti-guard, ceramic pro, C1 - some are better than others, but all will be far, far more durable than anything you can buy off the shelf and do yourself. Durability is measured in years, rather than months and these coatings cure to a level that is harder than the paint in most circumstances, meaning it is much more difficult for the coating to be compromised by contaminants forming a bond to the surface. They contain UV blockers to prevent fading and are also significantly thicker than regular waxes and sealants, meaning they effectively form a new functional and chemical resistant layer over the paint, rather than just a sacrificial layer of protection. Most coatings can be applied to paint, wheels, glass, metal, plastic, rubber - so all exterior surfaces of your car will be protected. I'd advise having a look around for any professional detailers near you who are approved to apply such coatings. They will perform a lot better than anything offered by a dealership and usually cost a fraction of the price.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I left a response in the other thread the OP started, so I'll CC it here...

Best bet for a car kept outside is a pro applied coating, whether it's nanolex, opti-guard, ceramic pro, C1 - some are better than others, but all will be far, far more durable than anything you can buy off the shelf and do yourself. Durability is measured in years, rather than months and these coatings cure to a level that is harder than the paint in most circumstances, meaning it is much more difficult for the coating to be compromised by contaminants forming a bond to the surface. They contain UV blockers to prevent fading and are also significantly thicker than regular waxes and sealants, meaning they effectively form a new functional and chemical resistant layer over the paint, rather than just a sacrificial layer of protection. Most coatings can be applied to paint, wheels, glass, metal, plastic, rubber - so all exterior surfaces of your car will be protected. I'd advise having a look around for any professional detailers near you who are approved to apply such coatings. They will perform a lot better than anything offered by a dealership and usually cost a fraction of the price.

Thanks TinSnips, I'll inquire about that. I'll let you know what I find.