Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Protection mode on Amp....

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Can anyone tell e why an amp switches to protection mode.....

My amp has two LED lights one is green for power on and then there is a red one for Protection mode....

Every now and then when I start my car it switches to protection mode and doesn't work....

What have I set up wrong...

dellarb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SII CV8 Monaro
Its probably just getting affected by power spikes from starting your car. The best way I'd recomend to fix it would be to set up a relay connected to the original audio circuit (ie audio on = relay on) and have that control the power supply to the amp. That way in the cranking position the amp is disconnected from the cars power and will automatically reconnect when the engine starts.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
If its connected properly - it will be doing that anyway.

Go through and check all your stuff again, remote, constant power from the battery, make sure your earth cable is suitable and grounded properly, make sure your amp isn't sitting on metal or earthing out elsewhere.

If you want to test the amp you could always disconnect the power, start the car and reconnect the power.. If it goes into protection again then it's something different.

Is it a new amp? Did you get instructions or anything?

I just fail to see that if its connected properly, it will be off, ignition turned to accessories it will be on, turn a bit more and it will turn off, car started- stereo comes back on.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
The amp is obviously on, so we can rule out the power supply, its turning on so we can rule out the remote wire. What about the fuse? Actually, are you using 8 gauge or similar for your power cable? your amp might not be pulling enough power. I'd say its the earth though. Try moving it to bear metal like where a bolt/screw is.

C

commodore_vy

I had the same problem with an amp in my boat.
Its not to do with spikes, i found my problem was the amp had been hooked up wrong (reverse polarity) once i fixed this it worked fine and still is

Just_Ice

Reaction score
I have played around with the Earth for a while in different places... At the moment it seems ok... Maybe that was just the problem...