Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pulled heads off 304, and...

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
Okay, so I pulled the heads off my stock 304 (running dual fuel) and I am confused! The heads have two rectangle holes at each end (4 in total per head) for the water galleries which are supposed to match up to the block. The confusing thing to me is that the block doesn't have any provision for water galleries at the front of the engine, where as the heads and head gaskets have these in place. what the!?

So does the water flow up to that point, turn around and go back to where it came from? Is there something holden changed from the old 253 & 308 blocks or are they all like this too?

Also, what's all that crap build up on the pistons?

Here are some photos to illustrate what i'm talking about
4339684567_482343e8ee.jpg

4339718803_576b00b004.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I've never really thought about the path the coolant takes, but I guess it goes through the bottom radiator hose, through the pump which pushes it through the block, then up the end of the block it goes up through the heads (and through the water galleries in the middle), then flows back to the front of the heads where it goes thought the front of the intake and back into the radiator via the top hose.

Sumfin like that anyways.

But yeah the left and right heads are identical, they can be put on either side, same goes for the gaskets, which is why there's holes in both ends of the heads even tho only one lot gets used.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
ohh okay i see. thanks danny8. that makes more sense to me now why its like that. cheers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The 304 heads have 1 and 2 cast on them, but apart from that seem the same, maybe they both have a 1 and 2 on them at either end, I haven't looked that hard:)