Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pump or rack?

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by Berlinarator, Jul 31, 2006.

rack or pump

Poll closed Aug 10, 2006.
  1. Rack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pump

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Berlinarator

Berlinarator New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS-Z
    hey guys, since i bought my car about 6 months ago, it occasionally shudders when you turn the wheel more than a quarter, whilst going less than 5 km/h. it normally happens when say for example you're pulling out of a park. when you pull out and the wheel is still left and you're still going backwards, you put it in drive and turn the wheel right. just before it engages in drive, i'm still turning the wheel right, and it shudders then. like the revs go real low sorta thing.

i flushed the power steering fluid (just from the resovior) and it was a really dark grey, almost black. cleaned it out and filled it up with new dexron III fluid (red) and started it up. after i went out of the drive way, it was worse than ever, and after about 5 minutes of driving it was back to being dark grey. i'll eventually flush the entire thing, but i'm not sure that's the entire problem. at the moment, the shudder isn't too bad, but it's not improving.

What do you think, new rack or new pump?

2. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    may be just the dirty fluid. when turning the wheel at low speeds or stopped it makes the system work harder. Try turning the wheels while stopped, then turn them again while reving the car and see if thats stops it. If it stops while reving give it a good flush. It worked for mine when i had a similar prob

3. Berlinarator

Berlinarator New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS-Z
    oh ok well i'll give that a go. by the way... first things first... how the hell do you bleed the entire system? any moron could bleed the resovior (which is what i did), but how do you flush the whole thing? and how many litres of dexron III would it take?

4. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    dont know how holden would drain the fluid but i would disconect the return line and start the motor and let the fluid pump out. then put the line back on and top the resovoir up and bleed.
    the book says .65 litres go into it.
    i would flush it twice to make sure i got all the old fluid out.

5. Berlinarator

Berlinarator New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS-Z
    right, you're sure about turning the engine on and letting it pump all the fluid out - like run it dry sorta thign???

6. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    This poll ain't right - there is no choice for "neither" which is what I'd vote for.

7. yyg998vsute

yyg998vsute New Member

Members Ride:
    1998 Blue VS ute 5spd
    mine VS does it too, only when the wheel is turned a little bit and i wanna take off fast

ive had every man and his dog look at it that each one says something different

RACK, PUMP, BELT, LINES, FLUID,

im so confused i gave up, im just going to save up and get a old school holden mechanic to give a name and price of what it is

8. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    I apoligise for using the word "Falcon", but that particular car has a pressure switch on the power steering rack which senses when the wheel is turned hard left or right and increases the revs to compensate for the drop in revs. In the case mentioned above, I'd first check that the idle revs were not set too low which would cause the engine to struggle once the power steering put some strain on it.

9. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    yeah, watch it as soon as the fluid stops coming out turn the motor off. it wont hurt anything as long as you turn it of before it runs for to long without fluid.thats how i did mine. i change my steering fluid when i service my transmission.

10. Berlinarator

Berlinarator New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS-Z
    ok. i flushed all of the oil out of the pump (like youse suggested)... twice... and it's still the same. the only difference, the fluid is red. what next lol?

11. bradcad

bradcad New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
    common problem

I'll ask my mate (used to rebuild steering) if the pump output can be increased- I'm sure he said it can