Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pumping Transmission fluid change on VE 6 speed.

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 3.0L SIDI Sportswagon International
Apparently you have to drain and pump from the same place. So I removed the drain plug and is there suppose to be an inner bolt? Of course pumping fluid back up was a mess and managed to block it with a make shift grommet. How does everyone else secure the pump line? Or maybe I can buy a proper bolt from auto spares that has a narrower "inner" pump bolt? Or a fitting on the end of the pump line?
Should've asked some questions before I jacked up the car.
Anyone can give tips that would be great thanks.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Manual or auto? V8 or V6?

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Apparently you have to drain and pump from the same place. So I removed the drain plug and is there suppose to be an inner bolt? Of course pumping fluid back up was a mess and managed to block it with a make shift grommet. How does everyone else secure the pump line? Or maybe I can buy a proper bolt from auto spares that has a narrower "inner" pump bolt? Or a fitting on the end of the pump line?
There is a fill plug on the top edge passenger side i think

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What gear box?

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride
What gear box?
Six Speed auto. Haynes say the fill and drain plug are the same, previous mechanic mentioned that aswell. I suppose I could check, and would much prefer it there was fill plug on the side, but only mentions that on the 5-spead. I'm guess I'm just looking for what others use to pump trans fluid, if there's a pump fitting part I need to purchase to make this a little easier. I know some professional trans pump tools have a rubber end of the rod that you just force up against it and pump. But I don't have that height under the vehicle.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Youtube has a few videos on how to do this

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Six Speed auto. Haynes say the fill and drain plug are the same, previous mechanic mentioned that aswell. I suppose I could check, and would much prefer it there was fill plug on the side, but only mentions that on the 5-spead. I'm guess I'm just looking for what others use to pump trans fluid, if there's a pump fitting part I need to purchase to make this a little easier. I know some professional trans pump tools have a rubber end of the rod that you just force up against it and pump. But I don't have that height under the vehicle.
Look on you tube. If you have a v8 its the 6l80 otherwise its probably the 6l50. They have a fill plug on the side above the sump

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys, really appreciated it. Little bit of misinformation goes a long way. It did seem insane to have to pump trans fluid back up the drain plug, but I went with it anyway LOL