Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Punctures

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I'm curious what experience other owners have had with the OEM Continental Conti Sport tyres with respect to punctures.

In just over 30,000 km I've had 2 slow leak punctures. Perhaps it's just bad luck but I've never ever had this many punctures with other cars or brands of tyres.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Being in the trade, it really comes down to luck...I went 10 years and 4 different sets of tyres without a puncture...Then all of a sudden, I got 2 within 3 months....

Same applies with customers....Sometimes they come in and say they haven't had a puncture in years when they come in with one...Others will say they have had a run of punctures within a 12 month period...

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Thanks for the reply. I'm not surprised with your response. I guess I'm a bit more anxious about punctures with this car as it has no spare tyre, just a pump and a bottle of sealant fluid.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
it's bad luck mate, can't you buy a spare?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I reckon I would toss a spare in the boot.
Are the tools there to change it?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks for the reply. I'm not surprised with your response. I guess I'm a bit more anxious about punctures with this car as it has no spare tyre, just a pump and a bottle of sealant fluid.
My rs has a spare, maybe try a wrecker and see if you can get the spare from another zb.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Sharp object punctures are 100% luck based

Any recognisable brand of tyre will have a minimum resistance to punctures, its just whether you hit that nail/sharp object in the road at the particular angle.

That or someone doesn't like you or your parking? ;)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Punctures will be more prevalent these days due in part to tradies who don't secure their utes contents before racing off to the next job.
Nothing these days to see tools/screws/ on the roads not to mention the almost new makita jackhammer chisel I picked up off the road about a month ago.
Imagine a chisel about 400mm long getting thrown up by a wheel and coming through your windscreen.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Neither of the punctures immobilised me, just the inconvenience of adding some air before I had the opportunity to have them repaired.

The spare wheel well is taken up by the stereo sub woofer. See attached pic.

Putting a spare wheel in the luggage area isn't all that practical plus there is no jack nor wheel brace.

I guess I could rip out the sub woofer and use that area if it's possible to source the correct space saver wheel and jack.

When I look at the number of times I have had to replace a tyre out on the road in the last 40 or so years and the number of K's driven in that time, not having a spare isn't all that much of a concern. From memory once perhaps twice in just under 1,000.000 K's.

Attachments

• Sub woofer 50%.jpg
    Sub woofer 50%.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 211

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The spare wheel well is taken up by the stereo sub woofer. See attached pic.

that same subwoofer that does not play music is inside my spare wheel, i will take a pic when the wife gets home.
the spare in my rs is one of those space saver ones but is is still a spare and not that pump/repair stuff.