Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Punctures

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
But what about the banging bass for my tunes?! :p
No spare, not even a space saver, is such a false economy. The tins of foam/gunk hardly ever work, and you then need to get recovered. Sure its a low frequency event, but I'd gladly lose 50 litres of boot space to gain a spare.

I'm just glad the first owner of my clubby specked a spare.

Turns out you can have the sub woofer and a space saver spare along with the scissor jack etc.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Turns out you can have the sub woofer and a space saver spare along with the scissor jack etc.

In my rs that bose sub does not play music, it makes a sound that sounds like exhaust noise and only makes noise with the engine running.

I figured it was for noise cancellation or to make the v6 sound a bit sportier.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I carry enough stuff to fix most punctures myself with a plug at the side if the road:

1. Puncture repair kit

2. Sidecutter pliers, easiest way to grip screws/nails and extract them

3. Tyre pump

4. Goo, in case not good firm ground to put jack on

Not recommending any of the examples I've pasted in, just to give an idea

My general experience has been that I've only ever had punctures from nails and screws and all have been able to be repaired with a plug kit.

That said, if a nail or screw was in the edge of the tread or the sidewall this obviously couldn't be repaired, so a proper spare tyre would be better

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I carry enough stuff to fix most punctures myself with a plug at the side if the road:

1. Puncture repair kit

[/URL][/URL]

2. Sidecutter pliers, easiest way to grip screws/nails and extract them

[/URL][/URL]

3. Tyre pump

[/URL][/URL]

4. Goo, in case not good firm ground to put jack on

[/URL][/URL]

Not recommending any of the examples I've pasted in, just to give an idea

My general experience has been that I've only ever had punctures from nails and screws and all have been able to be repaired with a plug kit.

That said, if a nail or screw was in the edge of the tread or the sidewall this obviously couldn't be repaired, so a proper spare tyre would be better

Numbers 1 and 4 repair methods are scary.....I have seen many tyres that have had the innocient nail/screw in a tyre, that turns out the tyre has been run flat....Running a tyre flat can cause the sidewall to fail and we all know what happens when sidewalls fail..

It is my personal opinion that these items should be banned for sale to the general public, as it is actually promoting dangerous repairs

Finally...Repair number 4....Everytime I smell these, it makes me want to tip the crud over people...It stinks like all fook

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Finally...Repair number 4....Everytime I smell these, it makes me want to tip the crud over people...It stinks like all fook

You've mentioned a couple of times you don't like the smell of the "goop", and it appears that this is your only dislike for using it. Other than the smell does it work OK. To be honest the smell of the stale air that comes out when you deflate a tyre isn't all that nice either.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You've mentioned a couple of times you don't like the smell of the "goop", and it appears that this is your only dislike for using it. Other than the smell does it work OK. To be honest the smell of the stale air that comes out when you deflate a tyre isn't all that nice either.

It is suited to push bikes, mowers and alikes...It can work on vehicle tyres but is dangerous

When vehicle tyres get a puncture, there can be damage to the inner sidewall from either he foreign object or from being run flat.....For the run flat signs to show only takes 1 kay or 2 at 100KPH at 10psi or less for these signs to show up inside the tyre....So unless you have tyre pressure monitors, it is easy to run a tyre flat.....This goop doesn't repair the internal side wall damage.....The same thing applies to the push in plugs....

The only way to know this damage hasn't occurred is to remove the tyre from the rim....Something that generally isn't done on the side of the road

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Good point. Although I usually fix mine without running them flat. Can usually tell from the handling that something is off long before the .Different story I suppose if drove a long distance without noticing. Out of interest, assuming someone did run the tyre flat, then had it removed from the rim and tyre shop couldn't see any visual damage inside the tyre, what would be the go to way to repair it?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i would have to agree with vc, the plugs and the liquid repair goo should be removed from the automotive industry.
as a last resort situation i guess they are ok to get you out of something like a remote location to get it fixed properly but for vehicles in the city and surrounds there is no real need to attempt to do a diy repair.

both the plugs and goo are useless for any hole larger than 1~2 cm so they only work in a certain situation where a spare wheel works regardless of the size of the hole in the wheel it is replacing.

no matter what you use whether it is a spare or some sort of fix the idea is to basically go straight to a tyre shop and get the rubber replaced with a new one.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The last time I looked at those rope repair kits quite some years ago, they were clearly marked for temporary use only.

The intent of such repair kits was to get you to the nearest place of service where the tyre can either be repaired correctly or replaced. The correct repair process is (as VC mentioned) to first remove the tyre from the rim and then inspect the internals for associated damage. I fall looks ok and the puncture was through the tread and not near the sidewall/tread junction, the puncture is cleaned up and the inside surface roughed up so a much room plug can be inserted into the hole from the inside and pulled hard from the outside so the mushroom top sits flat against the inside of the tyre. I believe they also use some vulcanising glue under the mushroom head and stem.

Such mushroom plug repairs and only on certain parts of the tyre tread are safe. In all other cases one should replace the tyre...

As for that tyre sealant goop, it’s also for temporary use only. The last time I looked at some, there was a clear warning not to use on motorbikes as it can impact tyre balance which is critical when you only have two wheels. It also had a warning not to use it on wheels with tyre pressure monitoring systems installed (though I think they have better fluids these days as Holden uses such in their tight arse standard tyre repair kits). ALL tyre shops hate sealant goop as it’s messy to deal and supposedly a smells though I’ve not had the privilege :rolleyes: I’d hate cleaning such crap from rims ifI worked in tyre repair business (which means it probably isn’t cleaned up terribly well impacting balance:eek:

The reality is, a quality full size spare tyre is the only safe* way to repair a flat for anything other than an emergency get me to a tyre joint situation. And don’t bag the guys if they hate working with wheels that have Tyre goop used on them or they charge more in such cases...

* changing tyres or using sealing rope/goop on the side of the road carries its own risks if one doesn’t have their mind on safety. The safety aspects of such roadside repairs should be taught as part of ones road skills development and such should be a part of any license test... but meh, our rulers probably think Darwinism :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
i would have to agree with vc, the plugs and the liquid repair goo should be removed from the automotive industry.
as a last resort situation i guess they are ok to get you out of something like a remote location to get it fixed properly but for vehicles in the city and surrounds there is no real need to attempt to do a diy repair.

both the plugs and goo are useless for any hole larger than 1~2 cm so they only work in a certain situation where a spare wheel works regardless of the size of the hole in the wheel it is replacing.

no matter what you use whether it is a spare or some sort of fix the idea is to basically go straight to a tyre shop and get the rubber replaced with a new one.

Funny thing is, I was taught to remove a tyre from a rim by the ex-father inlaw, who lived in the bush.....He had some hand made levers, some soap, a rubber mallet, some glue, patches, wire brush and a block of timber to get the job done....If a block of timber isn't available, the old bumperbar jack will do....All this stuff can be carried in the boot of a car....However this sort of stuff seems to be getting lost by the younger generation, which is a damn shame