Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

purchasing a vehicle in the same state, with different state plates

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
so this one is mainly aimed at the west aussies who may know the system better than i do.

im looking at purchasing a 4x4 in w.a that is currently licensed and registered, but it has nsw plates on it. now im not sure if the owner has moved here from nsw with the vehicle, or they purchased it from nsw and did nothing about changing the rego.

so, is it as simple as handing in the nsw plates at a wa dot center, and getting my personal plates back in exchange? or does the vehicle need to be de-registered from nsw, have the plates mailed back to nsw, and then be taken over the pits here in wa to be re-registered?

if its the latter of the 2 im not even going to bother...the car has an engine conversion (which is licensed/engineered/complianced, whatever u want to refer to it as) but its got a 4" lift, 35" muddies and wrx seats...so ive got a better chance at jacking off a lion with a handful of thumbtacs than getting it to pass the pits...unless i spend big $ on it to revert it all back to normal

Last edited:

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Generally the second one mate. Knowing from experience the different states play different games, but all of them want you to convert to their rego is thats where the vehicle will primarily be operated.

Unless you can find otherwise I'd be budgeting the pits inspection etc into it. Those mods should pass if you get a decent mechanic. Take her to whatever place has the oldest/coolest looking cars parked at it, usually works!

- boingk

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure which state ur from but in wa, all of the vehicle checks r done by the government licensing centres. So u cant just go to a local mechanic for a certificate and leave him a nice carton of beer on the passengers seat with a note that says something like...vehicle inspections look like thirsty work, enjoy ;)

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
NSW. A Government Licencing Center sounds like a scary bloody thing to me... geez, can see why you're concerned.

- boingk

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it doesnt matter now anyway...i called the guy and it all sounded way too dodgy

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Im not sure which state ur from but in wa, all of the vehicle checks r done by the government licensing centres. So u cant just go to a local mechanic for a certificate and leave him a nice carton of beer on the passengers seat with a note that says something like...vehicle inspections look like thirsty work, enjoy ;)

That's changed now...there are independent inspection centers now in WA who can do the inspections for rego.
I drove a car over from Victoria last year. I had to get it inspected (and it was the local taxi workshop up the road who did it as they are listed as one of the approved centers.) Paid the money for inspection and got my certificate, went to licensing center in Cannington, whipped off the plates, took them in and paid the stamp duty, license fee, got my plates out of storage and away I went.

Day and age of lining up at the pits in WA is gone...thank god.

Last edited: