Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
I am looking at purchasing some general automotive tools to potential replace an inlet manifold on my V6 Ecotec and perform future maintenance tasks. I am considering purchasing a 3/8 torque wrench and 10 piece socket set to accompany. I have basic spanners and a socket set but not much else. Which particular size sockets would be most suitable for working on an Ecotec V6 using the 3/8 torque wrench. I have seen a 10 Metric Socket set with 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19mm available? Would that be sufficient? What is recommenced for someone at beginner/amateur level on a budget? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
In all honesty i would recommend one of those 100+ piece Bahco sets
kinda like so: BAHCO 106 Pce 1/4inch & 1/2inch Drive Socket & Spanner Set- Metric & SAE | Total Tools
It has one of the better varieties of sizes which is a bonus. and has its own case which is easy to store/carry

It gives a good variety, and for the bigger items you have the 1/2 equip while 1/4 works really well for most general items.
As for the torque wrench it depends what you want to do with it, if its indication only you could always get the adaptor bits to change to either 1/2 or 1/4 sockets. I've got a norbar but that was due to needing it for 35N left and right (working on bikes).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will need SAE to work on the Eco. Most economical way is buy a big kit like mentioned above, then build onto it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What I get stacks of use out of over the years on the ute has been the 1/4 deep sockets in both metric and imperial. I carry them in the ute box because on the side of the road they can get you out of trouble, if the DFI goes. The 1/4" deeps and Bahco ratchet spanners can do a fair bit these days. My ratchet spanners are being pulled out at least weekly.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Thanks for all the help and advice. Greatly appreciated. The reason for the torque wrench was to make sure I was torqueing the bolts within the workshop manual recommendation and not damaging any new gaskets or snapping bolts. If I was a to replace the inlet manifold, I'd want to ensure I didn't damage the gaskets with too much pressure from taking a guess. Is there a manual or thread that has a list of the socket sizes used on various engine components in the Ecotec V6. I'm using the Gregory's manual which has Nm values but no info regarding bolt sizes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When I did my manifold gaskets I just did them up fairly tight with the 1/4" and they never leaked and that was a few years ago now. Eco are better again in that you can buy better quality aluminium gaskets, where as the Buicks only have standard as an option. You won't crush them if you feel the 1/4" ratchet properly and you won't snap bolts either. If you use a TW you will need to take of the fuel rail to get in in without it fouling.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Thanks for that. That is a good point about the fuel rail. I was thinking I needed to remove the fuel rail anyway.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You will need SAE to work on the Eco. Most economical way is buy a big kit like mentioned above, then build onto it.
No half the bolts are metric actually so you need both.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No half the bolts are metric actually so you need both.
I was referring to the engine. But yes you need both, I thought the OP understood that when I referred to the above post about buying a full kit

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shane is there any reason why you like to pick on heaps of my posts, correcting the slightest error in me not explaining what I mean to the enth degree? Or does it just make you feel good being an expert on everything, picking the **** out of what I say?