Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I was referring to the engine. But yes you need both, I thought the OP understood that when I referred to the above post about buying a full kit

No the intake bolts from upper to lower are metric then lower to heads is SAE. So to do manifolds you need both plus all the cooling pipes and alt ect are metric.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Shane is there any reason why you like to pick on heaps of my posts, correcting the slightest error in me not explaining what I mean to the enth degree? Or does it just make you feel good being an expert on everything, picking the **** out of what I say?

I was just trying to help as it would be bad steering the guy onto SAE only to realise he needs metric too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was just trying to help as it would be bad steering the guy onto SAE only to realise he needs metric too.
Right is that what you call it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In all honesty i would recommend one of those 100+ piece Bahco sets
kinda like so: BAHCO 106 Pce 1/4inch & 1/2inch Drive Socket & Spanner Set- Metric & SAE | Total Tools
It has one of the better varieties of sizes which is a bonus. and has its own case which is easy to store/carry

It gives a good variety, and for the bigger items you have the 1/2 equip while 1/4 works really well for most general items.
As for the torque wrench it depends what you want to do with it, if its indication only you could always get the adaptor bits to change to either 1/2 or 1/4 sockets. I've got a norbar but that was due to needing it for 35N left and right (working on bikes).
You will need SAE to work on the Eco. Most economical way is buy a big kit like mentioned above, then build onto it.

I am looking at purchasing some general automotive tools to potential replace an inlet manifold on my V6 Ecotec and perform future maintenance tasks. I am considering purchasing a 3/8 torque wrench and 10 piece socket set to accompany. I have basic spanners and a socket set but not much else. Which particular size sockets would be most suitable for working on an Ecotec V6 using the 3/8 torque wrench. I have seen a 10 Metric Socket set with 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19mm available? Would that be sufficient? What is recommenced for someone at beginner/amateur level on a budget? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just in case the OP misunderstood my post. I believe the OP may have been considering a metric only kit. I suggested he gets one like was mentioned in post #2. So he would have both as he would also need SAE.

But thanks Shane, you pointed out my obvious error that could have had the OP buy an SAE only kit, my bad...... Again thankyou Shane I made a huge mistake and would have had the OP in trouble when he gets half way through and finds himself without the correct tools. Really helpful pointing that out and I apologise for clearly giving CommodoreV6 the incorrect info......

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
I'm considering either the Toledo 3/8 or Kincrome 3/8 torque wrench. Has anyone got one of these or have any advice on these brands?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I have the Kincrome one from many many years ago which from memory is the 1/2 drive but also 3/8 drive
Does the job just fine.
Just depends if you want a clicky one or a deflecting beam version (like alot of Warren and Browns)

Also have a 1/2inch Norbar one that can do left and right threads which is something you may need to consider if you need left hand threads at any stage?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have the Kincrome one from many many years ago which from memory is the 1/2 drive but also 3/8 drive
Does the job just fine.
Just depends if you want a clicky one or a deflecting beam version (like alot of Warren and Browns)

Also have a 1/2inch Norbar one that can do left and right threads which is something you may need to consider if you need left hand threads at any stage?

I have a deflection beam that auto resets it's much better than a Warren & Brown as I forget to push the clicker in sometimes but it's not uni directional.

Norbar, Warren & Brown and Gear wrench all do good digital ones under the 400 mark. I think the Gear Wrench is a little dearer as you get their 120t head.

I bought my Snap-on digital 3/8 drive ten years ago if I knew I could've got one of the above for half the price I would've.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I have a feeling the fella asking the questions may not financially want to buy the expensive tools many of us would often not take a second glance at to drop such coin.
For $100 or so the Kincrome will do the job.