Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purge control solenoid not connected to throttle body

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
So I have been doing a few fixes on my VS ute ecotec due to a really rough idle/misfire when cold and under power. One thing i have been putting off for a while is to replace the inlet manifold gaskets (ive got some oil in my coolant). They probably arent the cause of my issues but while the ute is sitting in the garage i decided to do them and bought some Mace ones for some longevity.

After replacing them and putting everything back together i noticed i didnt have anything to connect into the bottom (underneath) of the throttle body and just had a small hose elbow connected there dangling and connected to nothing. After some digging on here i think i worked out that the purge control solenoid on the back of the motor on the drivers side should be connected to it by a hose. I checked the solenoid and it had one hose to connect to the carbon chamber and another small hose (5 cm long on the bottom outlet) connected to nothing.

So a couple of questions if anyone knows:
  • Am I right in assuming the bottom connection of the purge control solenoid should be connected to the bottom/underneath outlet of the throttle body?
  • What sort of issues would this cause? I have no idea how long it has been disconnected for but i would assume it may never have been connected in my time owning the car (3 years) For the majority of my time with the car i have never had any issues
  • What sort of hose connects the 2 together? Is it that really thin plastic hose that is connected to the carbon chamber?
Hopefully someone here may be able to shed some light on it for me?

If anyone has a picture of where the bottom outlet (right underneath) of the throttle body goes that would also be awesome

Thanks

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Bit of vacuum hose will do. If you feel underneath the tb, the 8mm outlet goes to the inlet manifold base and the 4mm outlet goes to the purge. Easy to see with the tb off.

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Just to close the loop on this one in case it gets searched in the future - I followed your advice BowTie and picked up some 4mm vacuum hose to sort out the issue

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
  • Am I right in assuming the bottom connection of the purge control solenoid should be connected to the bottom/underneath outlet of the throttle body?
  • What sort of issues would this cause? I have no idea how long it has been disconnected for but i would assume it may never have been connected in my time owning the car (3 years) For the majority of my time with the car i have never had any issues
  • What sort of hose connects the 2 together? Is it that really thin plastic hose that is connected to the carbon chamber?
Thanks
It is fairly common for the elbow to come off after 20 years. So it is sucking air in - sometimes you can hear a whistle. Result: there is more air going in than what the MAF sensor says, hence lean mixure. The PCM will trim this after a while, but you are also getting unfiltered air into the engine. You might need some long needle-nose pliers to grab onto the loose hose and put it back.