Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purging Noise at start up. Commodore VX S2 / V6 3800

admk69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 2002 Wagon
Hello Everybody,

I've got an annoying intermittent starting issue with my VX S2 V6

It always cranks and Very occasionally starts straight away but 90% of the time it conks out.

When i turn the key to accessories i can hear a purging sound that lasts about 3 seconds. it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay corner closest to the drivers. After allowing it to purge it usually starts. seems to be worse on a hot day. it's like it fires up then doesn't get idle and just drops off.

Recently fixed the TPS Sensor as the car was not starting. Done the IAC in the past. I replaced the fuel filter. cleaned injectors and replaced filters.

Suspect it could be fuel pressure related from either the Fuel Pump pressure failure, Purge solenoid valve, Positive Crankcase Ventilation, ERG Valve etc???

I am about the clean the throttle body as i have done in the past and normal service. is auto.

Thanks for your time and help

Regards,

Admk

ps. Thanks VS_Pete I hope i got the right forum this time.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Is it a buzzing could be the iac valve ...i see you mentioned that sorry

admk69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 2002 Wagon
Is it a buzzing could be the iac valve

I have replaced that not too long ago...

is it like a buzzing sound but sounds like a pressurizing sound. The sound/noise does repeat. On a downward slope it does not make the noise.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I have replaced that not too long ago...

is it like a buzzing sound but sounds like a pressurizing sound. The sound/noise does repeat. On a downward slope it does not make the noise.
Sounds like the fuel pump priming to me but that sound usualy comes from around the rear of car and its normal if you dont usualy hear it though could be a sighn of the pump strugling listen out for a buzzing noise while your driving shouldnt hear pump at all while your driving thats a definate sighn of a fuel pump on its way out

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like your fuel pressure regulator not holding hence the reason for the purging sound and why it doesn't fire up straight away.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Sounds like your fuel pressure regulator not holding hence the reason for the purging sound and why it doesn't fire up straight away.
i thought of that but imagined it wouldnt make much sound if it did doesnt look electrical but i never have had this issue so wouldnt know

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i thought of that but imagined it wouldnt make much sound if it did doesnt look electrical but i never have had this issue so wouldnt know
Only other thing is the brake booster or ABS in that area, or maybe the cruise control module. I'm just assuming its air in the fuel pipe as it primes. Hard to say when its only in writing.

admk69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 2002 Wagon
Thanks guys for your reply's. I changed the IAC again as it was playing up. also put in a higher cranking battery (630). Cleaned throttle body and did service with new air filter. the problem is still there. I also checked and cleaned the coil pack which are all in spec. I suspect the fuel pressure regulator for sometime, as mentioned. I'm gonna get one off at u-pull-it car (the wreckers) to see how they come apart. then fit it on mine.

The ABS area does make noises when turning on accessories. could possibly have to do with that. It's a square shaped looking part with lots of little pipes come out of it. .... I take it, that's the abs system????

l8rs

Admk

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That's the ABS pump side it shouldn't be making any noise, remove the ABS fuse.. Your module may be stuffed like a relay stuck activating the pump..